Alternator Harness Replacement Type 2 72-79, 914/4 Price: From $78.95
Discontinued long ago by Volkswagen, this product replaces your hard, cracking, worn out, tired Alternator Harness on your 72-79 Volkswagen Bus or Campmobile. Properly color coded wires matches your original, along with new, original Genuine VW engine tin grommets and 3 Pole Connectors are provided for a factory style fit.
NEW AND IMPROVED!
In the course of providing this harness for the past few years I have had customer feedback in two areas:
1. 70amp Bus customers have observed that the B+ Red wire from the Alternator to the Starter is a bit tight to fit. Not really a complaint, as all have worked OK in the installation and some have even installed it to the Positive side of the Battery.
2. Several Porsche 914 customers have noted that the B+ Red wire comes up a bit short, probably because the Starter is perhaps located slightly differently on the Porsche Trans as opposed to the VW Trans. So they chose to extend the wire with no complaint. There is another Porsche enthusiast that makes a 914-specific harness online, but the price of that harness does NOT include NEW (not used) Plug Connectors or Grommets, whereas mine does at essentially the SAME price.
Because of these comments, I have had the B+ Red wire lengthened to accommodate these models.
Originally, there were two basic harnesses, one for the 55 amp alternator and another for the optional 70 amp alternator. The 70 amp harness had a molded, rubberized connector for the Alternator connection. This kept dirt and gunk from fouling the connection. VW never offer this piece separately, so you can use the 55 amp connector in its place and apply RTV Silicone to where the wires enter the connector to achieve a similar effect. In addition, due to the design, the 70 amp alternator harness only needs one engine tin grommet, so carefully razor cut the grommet nearest to the alternator from the 55 amp harness.
As can be seen by the photographs, there is a proper connector for the wire connection (Blue Wire) to both the Dash Alternator Warning Light and the Heater Blower Fan Relay (Terminal A). On some models, there is a Black Wire to provide Battery (12 Volt) Voltage to VW Diagnosis Plug for the servicing by Dealers of that era. It is no longer included on this harness�.well, because these days it�s about as useful as an appendix.
Please note that this harness is "universal" in it's make-up to keep production costs down. Keeping this in mind, this harness is manufactured so that it will fit the different applications the factory-made harness was originally designed for. Whenever working on wiring on your Bus, 411/412 or 914, I strongly recommend having a wiring diagram by having the Robert Bentley Official Service Manual or in the case of the 914, the Haynes Manual is an excellent resource.
Price INCLUDES shipping via Priority Mail w/Delivery Confirmation Tracking to anywhere in the USA. Price for California delivered harnesses includes Sales Tax.
(Alternator Harnesses shipped/delivered within California are subject to Sales Tax. Sorry, no exceptions.)
Alternator Harness for 55 or 70amp Alternator
(Also Fits 69-74 411/412 Sedan/Wagon and Porsche 914/4)
California delivered: $85.07
USA delivered (Except Calif): $78.95
Harness To Canadian Address Delivered: $102.90usd
Cashiers/Certified Check or Money Order in the appropriate amount is cheerfully accepted and order will be shipped immediately upon receipt. Personal Check is also accepted, but a 14 day delay for bank clearance will be required before harness is shipped. In either case, email ahead so that I can put a harness aside for you and it will be held for a period of thirty (30) days from the date of your confirmed reservation. No CODs, no exceptions.
If paying by mail, make payable and send to:
PO Box 16106
North Hollywood, CA 91615-6106
If paying with Paypal send your payment in the appropriate amount to Paypal ID [email protected]
When using Paypal, please:
1. Be sure to provide your name and complete address. A telephone number would be nice just in case.
2. Be sure to check the "Goods" Box. This insures that I can make a USPS Shipping Label for the package AND protects your transaction with a shipping record.
3. Be sure to include in the Subject Line: type 55A Alt Harness or 70A Alt Harness and indicate the model of the vehicle it is being installed on.
For Other Overseas Destinations (other than Canada), please email for a quoted total. These orders are shipped Priority Mail International (formerly known as Air Parcel Post).
Alternator Harnesses are guaranteed to fit as represented herein and against defects in materials and workmanship. If there is dissatisfaction with the product, please return for a FULL REFUND. This guarantee only provides for either the replacement of the product or refund and does not cover labor, installation or any other expenses incurred.
Inquiries can be made to me at [email protected]
Paypal ID: [email protected]
PO Box 16106
North Hollywood, CA 91615-6106