Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68-79 Bus - Deluxes
Moderators: None
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 309, 310, 311 ... 657, 658, 659  Next
Jump to:
Upload Pic
Title only
Category :: 68-79 Bus - Deluxes
Type 1 bus engine rebuild
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:11 pm
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 43
Rating: Not rated
Wasted youth
Measuring the skirts of the donor engine. These were just beyond acceptable limits, both in weight variances between pistons and the diameter and clearance relationship of the cylinder.

View other images:
From Wasted youth Rows Grid   

Forum code: Copy

Size: 1600x1200   Views: 22
Wasted youth
Pitted damage to the crown of the nearly new Mahle piston. I can only speculate this is the result of poor build quality control or sabotage. I did not re-use this piston set.

View other images:

Size: 1600x1200   Views: 25
Wasted youth
This is the Type 3 case after it got back from the machine shop.

View other images:

Poptop headliner install
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:11 am
Size: 640x480   Views: 35
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady
This is the same process that Dale pioneered. Only difference is that I added a hard wired dome light into the headliner.
I glued a thin piece of wood to the back of the formica to act as a backing plate for the pancake light. Then I drilled a hole through the wood and formica and ran my wires before I glued the formica down. I ran my wires down the drivers side wood strip. I also used some 5 min epoxy to hold the wires down to the formica every couple of inches.
I used the same Sandstratos hull liner that Dale used and I'm very happy with it.
screwed the dome light through the formica into the wood backing strip.
I ran the Hull liner over the wires. And then I fished the wires into the rear tent seam (Thanks Dale for that tip!) and down into the cabin all the way to the front.
Everything works great and I'm really happy with how the whole project turned out.

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 480x639   Views: 18
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady
This is the same process that DaleNW pioneered. Only difference is that I added a hard wired dome light into the headliner.
I glued a thin piece of wood to the back of the formica to act as a backing plate for the pancake light. Then I drilled a hole through the wood and formica and ran my wires before I glued the formica down. I ran my wires down the drivers side wood strip. I also used some 5 min epoxy to hold the wires down to the formica every couple of inches.
I used the same Sandstratos hull liner that Dale used and I'm very happy with it.
I ran the Hull liner over the wires. And then I fished the wires into the rear tent seam (Thanks Dale for that tip!) and down into the cabin all the way to the front.
Everything works great and I'm really happy with how the whole project turned out.

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 640x480   Views: 27
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady
This is the same process that DaleNW pioneered. Only difference is that I added a hard wired dome light into the headliner.

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 640x480   Views: 17
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady
This is the same process that Dale pioneered. Only difference is that I added a hard wired dome light into the headliner.

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 16
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 20
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 1200x1600   Views: 17
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 19
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 17
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:10 am
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 18
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 640x480   Views: 15
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 480x639   Views: 13
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 640x480   Views: 25
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 640x480   Views: 15
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 19
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 18
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 1200x1600   Views: 12
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 15
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

Poptop headliner install
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 13
Poptop headliner install
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

poptop refinish
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:37 am
Size: 640x480   Views: 24
poptop refinish
Jjrady
Finally finished my poptop project. I have never sprayed anything before this. I borrowed a 26gal compressor from a friend and bought a spray gun kit from Harbor Freight for $50. It came with 2 guns and 2 different tips which was my biggest concern; one for the primer and a smaller one for the top coat.
Sanding the flocking off was the biggest PITA ever. And sanding in general is the biggest part of this job. (If i never have to sand that luggage rack again between coats I'll be a happy man).
Used a 2 part Poly primer sanding in between. Then I used Interlux Brightsides White for top coat. I thinned it with Interlux 216 special thinner and added Interlux flattening agent to the final coat. (I suggest adding it to the last TWO coats if you are gonna flatten it).

And of course I replaced all the hardware with Stainless Steel.
Also added a head liner and wired dome light to the inside of the poptop.

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

poptop refinish
Size: 480x639   Views: 20
poptop refinish
Jjrady
Finally finished my poptop project. I have never sprayed anything before this. I borrowed a 26gal compressor from a friend and bought a spray gun kit from Harbor Freight for $50. It came with 2 guns and 2 different tips which was my biggest concern; one for the primer and a smaller one for the top coat.
Sanding the flocking off was the biggest PITA ever. And sanding in general is the biggest part of this job. (If i never have to sand that luggage rack again between coats I'll be a happy man).
Used a 2 part Poly primer sanding in between. Then I used Interlux Brightsides White for top coat. I thinned it with Interlux 216 special thinner and added Interlux flattening agent to the final coat. (I suggest adding it to the last TWO coats if you are gonna flatten it).

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

poptop refinish
Size: 640x480   Views: 24
poptop refinish
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

poptop refinish
Size: 640x480   Views: 14
poptop refinish
Jjrady

View other images:
From Jjrady Rows Grid   

lifter/tappet/follower crown comparison
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:48 am
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 29
Wasted youth
Lifters from a Type 3 1600cc engine. Comparing loss of crown. These are worn and flat. I gave them to WebCam, who took these flat, worn lifters that no light could pass through and got back lifters that had a nice crown.

View other images:

1970 Type 1 bus engine rebuild
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:25 am
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 7
Wasted youth

View other images:

Size: 1600x1200   Views: 9
Wasted youth

View other images:

Size: 1600x1200   Views: 11
Wasted youth

View other images:

Size: 1600x1200   Views: 21
Wasted youth
Lifters from a Type 3 1600cc engine. Comparing loss of crown. These are worn and flat.

View other images:

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:24 am
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 12
Wasted youth

View other images:

1970 Deluxe bus
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:02 am
Size: 1600x1262   Views: 19
1970 Deluxe bus
Wasted youth
Fuel sender repair on our bus. This thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629435&highlight=fuel+sender+method

View other images:

1970 DeLuxe bus
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 23
1970 DeLuxe bus
Wasted youth
g

View other images:

1970 DeLuxe bus
1970 DeLuxe bus
Wasted youth
g

View other images:

1970 DeLuxe bus
1970 DeLuxe bus
Wasted youth
g

View other images:

Type 1 Engine rebuild project
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:50 am
Type 1 Engine rebuild project
Wasted youth
Type 1 engine pulled. No. 1 Main Bearing (Thrust bearing) dowel pin slipped and bearing spun. Ruined case.

View other images:

1970 DeLuxe engine compartment.
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 27
1970 DeLuxe engine compartment.
Wasted youth
Engine compartment needing refresh. 1970 De Luxe California import.

View other images:

1970 DeLuxe engine compartment
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 22
1970 DeLuxe engine compartment
Wasted youth
1970 Deluxe California import. VIN close up.

View other images:

1970 DeLuxe battery tray
1970 DeLuxe battery tray
Wasted youth
1970 DeLuxe battery tray. Replaced about 8-10 square inches. Fresh coating of POR-15.

View other images:

clutch cable
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:40 pm
clutch cable
socalbusguy

View other images:
From socalbusguy Rows Grid   

clutch cable
clutch cable
socalbusguy

View other images:

clutch cable
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 11
clutch cable
socalbusguy

View other images:

clutch cable
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:39 pm
Size: 1600x1200   Views: 13
clutch cable
socalbusguy

View other images:

Hank
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:16 pm
Size: 1200x1600   Views: 19
Hank
Inzaneartworks

View other images:
From Inzaneartworks Rows Grid   

Hank
Size: 1200x1600   Views: 24
Hank
Inzaneartworks

View other images:

Hank
Size: 1200x1600   Views: 29
Hank
Inzaneartworks

View other images:

70 slider
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:55 am
Size: 1196x1600   Views: 19
70 slider
Kwoggy
70 slider

View other images:
From Kwoggy Rows Grid   

70 slider
Size: 1196x1600   Views: 13
70 slider
Kwoggy
70 slider

View other images:
From Kwoggy Rows Grid   

70 slider
Size: 1196x1600   Views: 16
70 slider
Kwoggy
70 slider

View other images:
From Kwoggy Rows Grid   

Select sort method:  Order:  
Gallery Index -> 68-79 Bus - Deluxes

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 309, 310, 311 ... 657, 658, 659  Next
Jump to:
All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 310 of 659
Jump to:  

You cannot upload new pics in this category
You cannot rate pics in this category
You cannot edit your pics and comments in this category
You cannot delete your pics and comments in this category

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.