Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Standard Microbus
Photo link: Forum code:
1966 Standard Microbus
Author Photo
Peter Lubianetzky
Samba Member

Photos: 19

1966 Standard Microbus Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:51 am     Views: 115      Rating: Not rated

This is my '66 Standard located in Nova Scotia.It's a Model 221 with a 184 m-code for walk-thru although it came with a correct long middle seat. A not too common seating configuration. This bus was basically stripped clean when I brought it up from Florida in '92. It had a drivers seat and rear bench inside,no headliner,no interior panels ,no oem mats,no mirrors,2 bumper blades and 6 panes of glass siliconed into the pop-out openings.The front end had been lowered at some point by removing 3 of the 5 torsion leaves(springs) from the front axles.You can imagine what an interesting ride it was from Fla. to NS.In the following years I located several abandoned busses in the woods of NS and painstakingly found most of the missing items. In those years ,about all you could buy for older busses were mechanical parts; engine,brakes and suspension. This was well before the current reproduction craze going on. I installed a few incorrect deluxe items inside just because I found them in the woods and it seemed a shame not to use them although I have everything needed to make it "correct".While i've tried to keep the appearance very stock I did make some mechanical modifications to make the bus more pleasurable to cruise in. The engine now is an 1835cc with a Solex Pict-34 with the correct compensation jets and original breather unit, dual quiet packs and a "freeway flier" transmission.It drives like a dream.I've also added a few exterior accessories aquired through the years. While the bus is not show quality it's not a bad looking driver.There are only 1 or 2 other splitties in our entire province so it attracts it's fair share of looks when it's out on the road.

View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Share: Facebook Twitter
All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.