Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanny's Big Adventure Part 2
Photo link: Forum code:
Vanny's Big Adventure Part 2
Author Photo
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

Photos: 716

Vanny's Big Adventure Part 2 Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:17 am     Views: 25      Rating: Not rated

Who knew the Blue Ridge Parkway would be closed? Not me.. So, on to a lovely little Panther Creek State Park on Lake Holston in TN. Lunch in Rogersville, TN and a historic 1824 inn,tavern and restaraunt
where presidents Jackson, Polk and Johnson (Andrew) once slept. We only ate lunch in a great old piece of history...just like our Vanagon..sort of.
We enjoyed a walk at the park on a sunny, 58* day and spectacular sunset on our way to Blacksburg, VA to wakeup to snow the day before Thanksgiving Day...from inside a warm house. But, the PROPEX performed perfectly the night we camped when the cold air began to move in ahead of the snow.
After another restful day with dear family friends Vanny was ready to get back on the road. It wasn't the happy 35 in 3rd gear that the Parkway promised but I26 across Unicoj ridge, with the 5000ft Hughes OK, I know it's not a novel or even new idea..but, it was for me. I needed a little headroom for short stops or "pre-stealth setup."
Now, off for the Blue Ridge.. Much to be thankful forRidge and Mt . Mitchell visible off to our left on the way down toward Ashville was close enough...this time.
The only mechanical issue was early on. The power, even with a fresh 2L air cooled engine is a lesson in conservative driving skills I think all those who seek to pass a driving test should master. She was loosing all response to the gas pedal when we rolled off to the side next to a quiet pasture somewhere north of Blue Ridge,GA.. A pleasant sunny and safe place to rearrange the kit and open the engine lid. I checked all the important connections, removed and reconnected the plug wires when I noticed several cracks in the L-shaped rubber boot between the air meter and the throttle body...I hope my terms are correct. Air could sucked in, I reasoned and upset the ECU to no end. So, I applied a little Plumbers Goop to "restore" this part when I found the clamp to be loose enough to spin around by itself..could have been the reason for the troublesome idle I have been wondering about

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Share: Facebook Twitter
All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.