Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

more conversion pics
Photo link: Forum code:
more conversion pics
Author Photo
Foxx
Uncle Meat

Photos: 95

more conversion pics Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:28 pm     Views: 682      Rating: Not rated

what, you may ask, LED me to do this?
(yes,.that was a play on words)
ok,. owning a type 34 is great but as you and i know, the tail lights, despite the best of intentions, are woefully horrible.
the little 5w running light is hard to see and with the speed of todays cars and traffic, huge ass puckering action can cause you to leave the 34 home on the darkest of nights due to the lack of lightage.
ok,.so how to get more light out of the center,.and yes the bottom too,with out putting a bulb in that will end up melting the inside of our VERY EXPENSIVE lenses?
well people,..thats where i came up with the idea of using LED bulbs as they have small amp draw and produce very little if no heat!!
and yes you can just get the 1156 LED bulbs and not have to change anything,..but!
if you use one for the turn light,..you HAVE to run a resistor or an electronic flasher as the bulbs will not flash if you don't.
(as you can tell i have put some time into this idea before just drilling out my bases )
ok,. so if,..you want to change your bases to 1157 bulbs,. you have to drill out the centers and find some 1157 sockets...
lucky me, i work at DoT so i happen to have access to a socket every so often from a broken trailer light.
(junkyard works too!)
after removing what you don't need
from the socket,you slide it into your drilled out base,using JB weld to keep it there (be careful not to get it into the slots of the socket or your new bulb will not slide in! )
ok,.some pics

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Share: Facebook Twitter
All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.