TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Door tops
NeilT Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:16 pm

Is there more than one type of cab door top? I pretty sure mine are not original as they have black vent window catches and it a as it's a Standard Microbus should have chrome ones. The reason I ask is that I can't get the door to shut properly as the window frame is hard against the body when the rest of the door is still 1/4-1/2" away. I've adjusted the hinges without the door tops fitted and the door shuts with even gaps on the inside and flush on the outside but when the frame is fitted the door wont shut without a hefty slam. Any ideas?

mintonman Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:40 pm

I belive the black latches just mean it was a commercial bus, but there should be no differance other than that from a standerd. how easilly will the door shut completely if the other door is open?? Did you try loosening the screws for the window frame(top of door) & closeing the door with them loose. Maybe if you open it slowly it will stay in position until you can tighten the screws back up. I don't know if that will work but, thats what I would try next. I have a feeling it's just the tight seal of a vw. My doors on my single wont close all the way if the othe is closed. I have to kinda push it shut with my hand. It will not shut by swinging it shut. Hope that helps alittle.................james

Vermeulen Wed May 02, 2018 7:06 am

Is there a difference between early and late door tops ?
i have some late front doors and bought doortops ,but i can't seem to slide them into the doors .

hitest Wed May 02, 2018 7:55 am

What wasn't brought up 13 years ago is whether the "new" window frame is being installed fully-seated into an old frame to door seal. The old seal developed a memory to having a frame installed. A new seal also must often be massaged to fully seat a new frame. Is your frame fully seated in the seal?

campingbox Wed May 02, 2018 8:46 am

Standards got black latches.

easy e Wed May 02, 2018 9:06 am

Vermeulen wrote: Is there a difference between early and late door tops ?
I can't seem to slide them into the doors . No difference, '55-'67 are all the same door window frame.
You'll have to put one leg in at one end of the door (just barely)... then get the middle in (just barely)... then either push OR pull the last leg (in the long direction of the door) to get it inserted.
Having a friend there to steady the frame might help a little.

Vermeulen Wed May 02, 2018 9:10 am

easy e wrote: Vermeulen wrote: Is there a difference between early and late door tops ?
i have some late front doors and bought doortops ,but i can't seem to slide them into the doors . '55-'67 are all the same door window frame.
You'll have to put one leg in one end of the door (just barely)... get the middle in (just barely)... then either push OR pull in the long direction of the door to get the third leg inserted.
Having a friend there to steady the frame might help a little.

Thanx , will try tis . Hope i don't damage the paint to much tho

easy e Wed May 02, 2018 9:14 am

Vermeulen wrote: Hope i don't damage the paint to much tho If reasonably careful... the only thing to scrape will be the sides of the window frame legs, the perimeter of the leg / door hole openings... and maybe immediately adjacent to the leg / door hole openings. All of which will be out-of-sight.
You can do it!

JonnyCJ Wed May 02, 2018 12:24 pm

I can pretty much guarantee that your issue is the cross piece that sits on top of the door top.

This is adjustable in height and it’s a case of removing the frame and loosening the screws either end of the cross channel and lifting the channel as high as it will go. This has the effect of lowering the overall height of the frame as it can sit deeper into the door.

Tighten the screws, re-fit and see how you get on.

Ask me how I know....

:roll:

Spent ages trying to get mine to fit with the same problem and eventually worked it out.

Vermeulen Thu May 03, 2018 8:01 am

thanx sounds helpfull.

JonnyCJ Thu May 03, 2018 11:42 am

Silly me - I was replying to the OP’s post !

However, for those of you with door shutting issues, my comments are still relevant. Having needed a good slam previously, mine now shut like a glove :-)