TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bought a 65 beetle!
puggiesv8 Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:09 pm

Just bought a 65 beetle! From the original owner! it has been wet once! it hasnt been driven in three years! this is my first VW purchase! I know nothing about these! Now! if you have problems with a Mustang Five liter I am just the guy to talk to! I will be picking this up in the second week of Feb! I looked at it today and the brake pedal goes to the floor! also the owner put Porsch brakes and wheels and master cylinder! I am going to keep it as is,just maintain what it has, I cant wait to hear it run! Any ideas will be read! Where can one get a master cylinder, maybe its for a 356? The original has passed away, but left some notes in the manual! Thanks!

The Noof Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:21 pm

Good job, bro, and welcome to the veedub world!An old soldier like a '65 probably gonna needs lotsa lovin'. This place is a great resource, and the help ethic is excellent.
Not sure what your long term goal for your bug is...everyone's different. If it is in good shape, and mostly original, you might want to consider keeping it that way. Certainly, it's worth the most restored to original shape. They're not fast and cold as hell, but a vintage bug has more character than ANY car in the world.If you're gonna modify it, the sky is the limit.

79SuperVert Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:22 pm

Congratulations. I got out of breath just reading your post. You sound REALLY excited.

I have a 65 too. A vert. 9th owner. Not exactly the same situation as you but still, they are really nice.

I suggest your best bet is to get John Muir's book on How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive Forever, also known as the "Idiot's" guide. Also try to get the Bentley manual for your car. It's pricey but well worth it because it duplicates the original shop manual for the car, including the pictures.

Finally I suggest you get a few catalogs and look through them for parts you may be missing or need for your car. My favorites are Wolfsburg West and CIP. Both have websites but their print catalogs are great for just flipping through. www.wolfsburgwest.com and www.cip1.com

You also should look through these forums. The search function works very well and you'll find just about every question has already been asked and answered. Good Luck!!

Juan Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:44 pm

Congratulations man! I drive a 65 as well.

Post pics of your new ride when you get it.

ScrapJunkie Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:46 pm

65's are sweet... 8)

puggiesv8 Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:59 pm

To everyone that has replied Thanks! I plan to keep the 65 for a long time ! I knew the first owner well, one of my a/c customers! I will keep typing when new things happen! We are having trouble with our camera, and I am not too good at this computer stuff! But she is a red 65 with sunroof, and a bumperette package that was only offered at a Nevada dealer! It has a 1200 motor still ,and will most likely stay a 1200! And again thanks for the great welcome!

toddyvol Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:20 pm

O no, not a '65?!? :(

Do you know what you've got youself into?
You really don't want this car?

So to save you any further grief I'll gladly take it off your hands :lol:

no really, you'll really like your new beetle.

congrats!