TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: interior in a vert questions
Smurf Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:16 am

I was searching some sites out and they don't seem to have any original like interior for convertibles. I tore off the seat covers that were in my '65 and they look like mesh/grey, or closer to salt and pepper in a split bus. Does anyone know who would carry this type of interior?

plus if anyone has any pictures of their interior send them on here I'd like to get some ideas for down the road.
Thanks
-JIM

RareAir Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:21 am

West Coast Classics Restoration would be a safe bet. But TMI may have something.

Smurf Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:23 am

I have check'd their website...they seem to carry stuff for '62 and earlier...I guess the best bet would to call them or e-mail them.
Thanks....any more suggestions? keep 'em coming

tacky Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:31 am

chucks convertible parts, located in va. is a good source of knowlege for verts.

RareAir Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:35 am

Convertible World in Long Beach, CA Julio has an in-house upholstery shop.

Juan Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:10 am

When I redid the interior in my 65 Sedan I took out the after market covers and I saw the originals underneath. Based on that and some other pictures I had seen of original 65 interiors, I had TMI do mine to look as similar to that as possible. The style for 65 and (I believe) some 66 interiors was called "flap-over-the-top" or something like that, where the vinyl from the back would go over the top of the back of the seat, and into the front. It looks like this, and I'm pretty sure the interior on your vert should have been the same style.

Also, check the Archives section of this site. The pic below this one is from a sales brochure from 1965 and it can be pretty helpful. Here's the link straight to it: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/literature65cdnfullline.php
There is also a sales brochure with color and interior options for verts.

DrDarby Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:02 am

That is a beautiful interior you have Juan ! One of my pet peves is 64-65 cars with pleated or basketweve seats. I have a '65 with the red / oxide mesh interior I plan on ordering from TMI as well

Juan Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:05 am

Thanks man! I totally hear you... my 65 had those when I bought it and I thought they were ok, until I saw what the originals looked like. Then I was like, why have these when you can get nicer and original-looking ones for the same price?

Even though I've heard and read mixed things about TMI, I would say TMI has been a good choice, specially if you want to enjoy and drive your car and don't want to pay tons of money for your interior. I personally didn't want a show car, but I did want a car that looked as original as possible and as good as my pocket could reach. My experience has been that they matched what I wanted pretty damn well, and so far they've been holding up nicely.