TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 12generator....6volt size? Page: 1, 2  Next
dirtylawnchair Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:34 pm

The motor in my 59 has the generator stand molded into the block.

Is there a generator that is 12 volt but the size of a 6 volt?

If so where can I get one? A link would be nice.

keifernet Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:56 pm

Yes there is a bosch generator from the earlier porsche engine that is 12V but is the size of the 6V VW gen.

a quick search found this but there are probably several places to find used/rebuilt ones and several regular parts suppliers... just google it and find them

http://www.hmn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/classifieds.partsdetail/id/604446

Kel Dub Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:52 pm

I have one on my 63 and it works great.

dirtylawnchair Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:10 pm

Kdub where did you get yours? And how much am I looking at spending?

Kel Dub Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:24 pm

I purchased my car with it already installed. As far as i know they are pretty pricey in comparison to the stock 6v generator just because of their rareness

RareAir Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:21 pm

The 12v generator (6v size) isn't rare at all, just expensive because it carries a Porsche part #. Try contacting Kymco in Costa Mesa, CA Several years ago they were selling them outright. I've got one in my 54, and it works great.

hlwimmer Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:07 pm

hlwimmer Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:07 pm

i bought mine through parts heaven in hayward, ca... core charge was $125 and genny itself was like $225... expensive but worth it. not as rare as folks make out, just pricey -- especially the core-charge if you dont have a worn-out one to turn over. for your needs, it'd be a direct bolt-on. voltage reg. would need to go somewhere else, but i've heard of folks disguising a 12V voltage reg as a 6V one or mounting the 6V shell (no innards) and passing the wires through it for an original appearance (and hiding the 12V one in-line somewhere (under seat, on firewall, etc.).

dirtylawnchair Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:14 pm

hank you for all the help. Hopefully someone will just say I have one for sale OR you can buy one at...

I will post pics of her later, just got her today.

hlwimmer Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:46 pm

aahem.

you need: a 12V genny (285mm) for porsche 356/912.

you can buy one at: parts heaven in hayward california (http://www.partsheaven.com) or possibly though klasse-356 (http://www.klasse356.com ... jim had stopped carrying them for a while, but might have them in stock). should cost between $350 and 400 outright.

Kel Dub Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:35 pm

[email protected] wrote: The 12v generator (6v size) isn't rare at all, just expensive because it carries a Porsche part #. Try contacting Kymco in Costa Mesa, CA Several years ago they were selling them outright. I've got one in my 54, and it works great.

Why does the Porsche part # make them more expensive?

doubledoor64 Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:37 pm

Kel Dub wrote: [email protected] wrote: The 12v generator (6v size) isn't rare at all, just expensive because it carries a Porsche part #. Try contacting Kymco in Costa Mesa, CA Several years ago they were selling them outright. I've got one in my 54, and it works great.

Why does the Porsche part # make them more expensive?

it starts with a P and ends with a orsche.... :wink:

gt1953 Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:45 pm

I have read that a good auto electrical shop can change the feild winding on the 6V gen and make it a 12 V gen. May hve to be an old school mechanic or hot rod typ guy that would have the know how.

Comments welcome.

gt1953 Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:50 pm

http://www.acewichita.com/

check them out.

RareAir Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:32 pm

Kel Dub wrote: Why does the Porsche part # make them more expensive?

Because Porsche parts = Porsche prices Those generators were used only in Porsche 356 cars, never used on Volkswagen Beetles.

Kel Dub Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:08 pm

Oh ok, i wasnt aware of the difference in price, that never even occured to me.

hlwimmer Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:24 pm

there was a guy @ hotvws drag days in 2003 who rebuilt VW 6V gennys to 12Vs (cheap, too)... havent heard much on the process since then, but since then, there've been numerous threads on the porsche genny... methinks that if the VW 6V>>12V conversion were solid, there'd be more interest and more attention paid to it...

keifernet Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:19 am

dirtylawnchair wrote: hank you for all the help. Hopefully someone will just say I have one for sale OR you can buy one at...

That's why I posted the link in my first post.

gt1953 posted the same place.

Alan Willis Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:09 pm

vw used them for a very short while for the '67 model year.I had one but did not care for the low amperage(30 amps)so I sold it for $100,go to the homepage,on the middle left side you will see search;type in generator.you might get lucky

keifernet Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:29 pm

dirtylawnchair wrote: hank you for all the help. Hopefully someone will just say I have one for sale OR you can buy one at...

I have one, not sure if it is working, but it would be a good rebuildable core. PM me an offer.