TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: need help FAST... bad ALT?
62daily Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:08 pm

hey folks, my alternator light earlier this week was flickering around idle but went away when driving. well the past two days it has been constantly on. well on my way home from work i noticed i had no power when i gave it a little gas and when i decelerated it flat out died. i parked it and a little bit of smoke came out. i checked everything out and noticed the inside of my alt was looking a little wet?/oily? anyway i got it started again and babied it until i got home ( about another mile) and the whole time smoke filled my cab. could this just be alternator or am i looking at something far worse? i'll be glad to answer any questions and im trying to get it done by tomorrow evening before i got to work. thanks in advance. i just need some head start pointers because i dont have the time to really look around for a while trying to figure things out.. thanks guys.

The Noof Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:52 pm

Hi bro...charging system issue for sure. I'm a little concerned about the smoke issue. If the alternator did burn up, it could get in via the cooling fan/heater boxes. If so, the alternator should be really burned up bad.If you're not sure the source of the smoke, the only other source I can think of is from the regulator under the back seat. Take a look at things there. It's quite likely you're gonna have to replace both the alternator and regulator anyways.

62daily Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:23 pm

hey thanks, that was my first guess. thanks for the second opinion. im HOPING HOPING HOPING all that smoke came in from the heater boxes because i just hooked my heating system back up. alright...so its pretty much toast, time to get a new one. it still turns over and starts after a few seconds rather than instantly but totally not operational. thanks again. still open to any other options or things to check out.

62daily Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:29 pm

oh yeah im not quite sure as to what regulator your are talking about that is under the seat? i know that the closest thing to anything around there is that relay for my starter? i'll check things out for sure. thanks again