TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Convertible pans are different.
rusty57 Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:39 pm

I know it's been discussed on other occasions, but the general opinion seems to be that they are the same. Today I actually got to see the difference in the two. i asked several pros around here and they all said the same thing,"they are all the same". So, that is what i believed. Today i go to buy a set of complete pans and tell the counter person"i need a set of complete pans for a 66 beetle". He looks them up and gives me a price. He then asked if i will be removing the body or not. I said that i did not know how involved it would be on a convertible, so i will be leaving the body on. He recommended i spend the little extra money and buy the convertible pans instead. I told him that they are the same and he showed me the difference. The obvious is the lack of a jacking point. Easy to remove the point from any other pan i told him. Then he showed me the extra bracing below the pan. I did not know there was such a thing until today. He said that i could probably get away with using regular pans, but for around $20 bucks more, i could get the real deal. And to boot, they are german replacements, not brazilian or others. I will try to do it myself this weekend. I'll post pics as i go.

aggro_jo Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:50 pm

RareAir Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:50 pm

rusty57 wrote: I told him that they are the same and he showed me the difference. The obvious is the lack of a jacking point. Easy to remove the point from any other pan i told him. Then he showed me the extra bracing below the pan. I did not know there was such a thing until today.

All the extra bracing performed by Karmann was to the body. When you get the "vert pans" post pics of the extra bracing.

suckmyexhaust Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:53 pm

I put my friends '65 vert up on the lift and there is extra bracing on the pans itself.

Nice find rusty57.

RareAir Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:04 pm

Must be for later model verts then. My 56 sure doesn't have any bracing on the pan halves.

oldbugs Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:46 pm

No extra support on my '63 vert pan. Kelly

joemac Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:56 pm

The parts guy is either innocently misinformed, or he's trying to take advantage of you.
There is no difference in floorpans between convertibles and sedans.
There also is no such thing as a German floorpan, unless it's NOS, which for several reasons, is doubtful, at best.
They haven't been available since before a lot of the peopole who post here were born.
The only cars to ever receive any reinforcements to the pans were type 3s.
The lack of jack point is only a matter of manufacturer- some floorpans have them, some don't.

plotch Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:25 pm

Not quite the same topic but could someone inform me what is interchangeable. Have a 73 chassis and 66 pans and the seat mounting is different. There is a squareback that i can have that needs pans at least, can i mix things between type 1 and type three?

aggro_jo Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:42 pm

joemac Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:00 pm

Quote: Have a 73 chassis and 66 pans and the seat mounting is different. There is a squareback that i can have that needs pans at least, can i mix things between type 1 and type three?
Three things:
1966 floorpans= must use '71 or earlier type 1 seats.
73 chassis with original type floorpans= must use 73 or later type 1 seats.
Any year type 3 seats only fit type 3, unless some serious modification is done to the floor. I know I wouldn't wanna do it.

bill may Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:08 am

What is this persons name and who does he "pimp" parts for? i want to steer everyone away from him and his company.

DrDarby Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:06 am

There is NO extra bracing in the convert's pan. I have a 63, 64, 66, 69 & 78 converts sitting here right now. I'm doing pans in the 63, 66 currently and has done the '78 two or three years ago.

The ONLY main difference I see at all after having just crawled out is the very outer lip of the pan is shorter so as to not interfere with the bracing on the body.

rusty57 Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:12 am

i will not question anyones cars, but i did see two different part numbers for the different pans. One showed a brace that the other one did not have. The price difference is only a few bucks, so i ordered the vert ones. I'l lpost pictures of the two full pans side by side to put this to rest. Hopefully saturday.

bk63rag Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:45 am

Its been awile sinse i have looked at one but i though convertables had reinforced pans .The outer edges of the floor pans were it bolts to the body i though that was thicker on both sides than a non converable :? Years ago and i mean years ago they did an article on putting Targ Tops on VWs and they had to reinforce the pan on both sides of the outer floors were the body bolted on.

keifernet Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:32 am

bk63rag wrote: Its been awile sinse i have looked at one but i though convertables had reinforced pans .The outer edges of the floor pans were it bolts to the body i though that was thicker on both sides than a non converable :? Years ago and i mean years ago they did an article on putting Targ Tops on VWs and they had to reinforce the pan on both sides of the outer floors were the body bolted on.

Your thinking of the re-inforcement rails... they weld to the body/heater channel.'

I've replaced alot of original rusted vert pans and never seen these "vert only" ones.. regular pans work fine with the jack mount removed.

rusty57 Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:49 am

keifernet wrote: bk63rag wrote: Its been awile sinse i have looked at one but i though convertables had reinforced pans .The outer edges of the floor pans were it bolts to the body i though that was thicker on both sides than a non converable :? Years ago and i mean years ago they did an article on putting Targ Tops on VWs and they had to reinforce the pan on both sides of the outer floors were the body bolted on.

Your thinking of the re-inforcement rails... they weld to the body/heater channel.'

I've replaced alot of original rusted vert pans and never seen these "vert only" ones.. regular pans work fine with the jack mount removed.

That is exactly what everyone says. I'm sure that regular pans would work just great. Maybe it's just a marketing ploth to get more money. I don't have to pay for the pans until they arrive this weekend. Maybe i'll save myself a few bucks. But what if.......

keifernet Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:58 am

Rusty 57 ...I'm not doubting that there may be some type of "vert" replacement pan with some extra support or metal on them and a 151 PN... strange things pop up from time to time. Might be a German company that made some "improved" pan sections.... I for one am interested in what you find and to see some pics, get the rest of the story when they arrive.