TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Engine pings
engineger Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:09 am

I have a stock 1600cc motor on my bug, it pings especailly on slow acceleration and when carry heavy load. For the fuel i did try using octane 92, 95 and 98 it's doesn't help much. I just had a new Bocar 34 pict carb on it and also the coil and ignition cables. Having a vacuum advance distributor.

Anyone out there can help or suggestion.

Randy in Maine Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:52 am

I am not sure what year this is, about 1971 they came with a push-pull (advance -retard) distributor. If this is what you have, you should go over to www.type2.com and look in the library for "Do I have these vacuum hoses hooked up correctly?"

Pinging is pre-ignition and sudden death for your ACVW. You had better get this thing timed correctly before you need a new engine.

Generally that means your timing is too far advanced or for some reason the dizzy is not retarding correctly.

Vacuum leaks are also a possibility.

This thing should run just fine on 87 octane gas.

buck Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:19 am

I had the same problem with my '70. First thing I checked was the timing. Even tried changing over to a different distributor. After adjusting the valves it finally quit doing it, so I'd say check your valve clearances if you haven't done that.

RareAir Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:53 am

Proper timing & valve adjustment will do the trick.

engineger Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:55 am

Thanks alot guys, I'll try to get the distributor from my buddy's good motor (try it out) and at the same time re-gap the valves.
Cheers