TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Clutch cable noise
Holmen Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:14 am

Hi.

I have a clattering/vibrating noise coming from my clutch cable when the pedal is released. When I depress the pedal slightly the noise disappears completely.

I just tightened the clutch cable enough to make the noise disappear but I feel this is only a temporary solution.

I´m wondering if the cause of the noise is the clutch cable tube coming loose in the tunnel. If so, can it be welded back on? Other suggestions?

Thanks.
Lars

Russ Wolfe Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:15 pm

That is what it sounds like. Take the boot off the emergency brake, and slide a long screwdriver down in along side it. rest the tip on the bundle of tubes that are in the bottom of the tunnel. Now operate the clutch pedal. If the screwdriver moves, the bracket is broken.

Holmen Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:44 pm

Okay, Russ. Thanks for the reply..

67FastyRSA Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:24 am

Just make sure that the noise is coming from the cable and not the release bearing :(

Holmen Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:57 am

67FastyRSA wrote: Just make sure that the noise is coming from the cable and not the release bearing :(

I´m pretty sure the noise is coming from the area where the pedal assembly enters the tunnel..

Air-Cooled Head Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:39 am

Holmen wrote: 67FastyRSA wrote: Just make sure that the noise is coming from the cable and not the release bearing :(

I´m pretty sure the noise is coming from the area where the pedal assembly enters the tunnel..

Never heard of the tube coming loos there. If the tunnel is like that of a T1, don't see how it could. Usually it's near the rear.

Holmen Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:54 am

Air-Cooled Head wrote: Holmen wrote: 67FastyRSA wrote: Just make sure that the noise is coming from the cable and not the release bearing :(

Never heard of the tube coming loos there. If the tunnel is like that of a T1, don't see how it could. Usually it's near the rear.

Well, you may be right. Would you say a repair is possible?

Tram Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:41 am

It happened to me on my '66. You'll need to get under the car (front end on stands). Take the spare tire and tire well out. There's a square plate behind the front beam that's held on by 2 bolts with 10mm heads. Remove the plate and shine a light in there and you can see it.
I refastened mine with a small hose clamp in the tunnel, and another one at the rear of the car where the clutch cable tube exits with another hose clamp so that the tube couldn't migrate forward. After I clambed her tight, I coated the clamp and clamp area front and rear with JB Weld epoxy. It worked like a charm!
Incidentally, I'm telling you to remove the spare and spare tire well because you'll need the elbow room.

Holmen Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:49 pm

[email protected] wrote: It happened to me on my '66. You'll need to get under the car (front end on stands). Take the spare tire and tire well out. There's a square plate behind the front beam that's held on by 2 bolts with 10mm heads. Remove the plate and shine a light in there and you can see it.
I refastened mine with a small hose clamp in the tunnel, and another one at the rear of the car where the clutch cable tube exits with another hose clamp so that the tube couldn't migrate forward. After I clambed her tight, I coated the clamp and clamp area front and rear with JB Weld epoxy. It worked like a charm!
Incidentally, I'm telling you to remove the spare and spare tire well because you'll need the elbow room.
Great. I´ll give it a try

Lars

Russ Wolfe Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:56 pm

[quote="Air-Cooled Head"] Holmen wrote:

I have seen them break loose at all 3 points. The front, the bracket at the middle, and at the rear. I have welded them all. But you don't want to be scared to cut a hole in the tunnel after you find where it is broken.