TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Widest tire thats fits the rear?
Marcus_Brougham Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:41 am

I'm Looking into buying a 50'-69 beatle or a late 60's to 70's T3. I would like to know what is the widest tire and rim that would fit? I plan on dropping the front 2 inches & using adapters on the front to fit a GM 14 inch rim (skinny wheel about 4-6 inches). But the rear i would like to fit a wider tire (also using a GM adapter). P.S. the rear will be stock. But with a 15 inch rim. Would it be a good idea to double the width of the rear fenders? Would a wheel sticking out that far do this to the wheels /-------\ ? "205/60R15 to 275/60R15. Please dont think im crazy or stupid.... I want to know before i try an attempt it. Thank you for any info.....

Kelley Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:12 am

195's stick out from stock fenders about 1/4", you'll definately need wider fenders from that point. The 275 width you mention is doable, but,,,, you're looking at extensive modification. not only do you have to accomodate the width of the tire on the outside, but also the inside depending on the offset of your wheels, if you use wheel spacers, the rear trailing arms, etc. Are you lifting it also? Most of your tires in that width are truck or SUV tires. The widest I would go with would be 215 or 225 with the available aftermarket fiberglass fenders. John @ aircooled.net sells them, I believe they are made by Creative Car Craft.

275mm converts to 10.82675 inches for the width you're asking about, the stock width tires were 4.5" to 5".

dub_crazee Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:23 pm

im running 195's under stock arches no probs, lotsa guys run 205 with minimal clearance and just under stock arches.

Kelley Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:49 pm

I have 195's on mine also, maybe it's because the fenders are slightly damaged. It's my rusto-custom. They stick out about 1/4 inch.

rcaster Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:53 pm

I run BFG 215/60R15 tires on the rear (on 6.5" flat 4 brm replicas) and 195/50R15's on the front (on 5" rims). The rears just fit without rubbing, and the fronts fit with my 4" narrowed beam. Before the narrowed beam, they would rub on the lip of the front fender.

Marcus_Brougham Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:31 pm

I'm running them on my 67 pontiac right now. I'm going to sell the car and would liked to have used them on a vw.(since they only have about 200 miles on them) I found some 4.5 inch wider fiberglass rear fenders. kelwa2 are those the wider fenders that you were talking about?

vdubdan65 Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:07 am

I'm currently runnin 195/r15 50 series in the front, and 205's in the back, no rubbage in the back and they are barely stickin out from the fender and I think the only reason you would get a bow in the tires would be from messing with the rear torsion arms (slamming it).

tuna Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:16 pm

The tire width is only part of the equation. You'll also need to know the offset of the rim, as they can affect whether the tires rub. For instance, on my '69 Cal-Look Bug, I have dropped spindles and an adjustable beam, with stock fenders. My stock wheels with 145s work fine, but when I swapped out a pair of 4" EMPI Sprint Stars with 0" offset, they rubbed on the outer fender lips. I wished I had known that when I had those wheels done. :-(

I haven't gotten to the rear yet.....

Tuna