TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Dave Roach Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:31 pm

So I got a call a few months ago from a man in moab utah introducing himself as Tom Tom. He told me he has a yard with many, many old volkswagens. After doing a little research on the samba, I found pics of his yard, and sure enough, it exists. Has anyone been down here? It looked like there were a hundred or so. How many vw are there really? And of coarse the most important question, is he willing to sell any at a reasonable price? I saw he had a banged up split down there, but heard that he wont part with it? What can the forum tell me about this guy?

Vanhag Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:04 pm

come on down we'll all go together. homeboy invited me to come over this spring too. Quoted me prices so high I thought I was going to have a nosebleed.

Still, some of us southerners plan on making a trip this spring.

hazetguy Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:53 pm

i tried to deal with tom-tom years ago. he's an alright guy, just set in his ways. he doesn't have a "junkyard", it's a "museum" to circumvent zoning problems. how/why did tom-tom call you?
at the time i dealt with him (early 90's), he would only sell whole cars, and you had to get them out yourself. that would pose a major challenge since most of them had not been moved in many, many years. i also remember something like each vehicle was $2500, non-negotiable.
unfortunately, i haven't been there in a few years. i love that part of the world.
there is/was also a guy, lin ottinger, who gave tours of the canyonlands (on the jeep trails, not the wimpy paved roads) in 23 and 21 window busses. one of the best trips i ever took was on one of his adventures. is he still around doing that?

gt1953 Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:17 pm

Moab Utah is only about a 7 hr drive for me hmm I wonder should I or shouldn't I.

splitpile Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:40 pm

Was there last year, I posted pics, no secet and harder then hell to get anything from him and he does have the shit there. He is not a stupid man and loves when all these VW people come there and give him their stories of woo and shit. He'll sit there and listen, let you rummage through the yard, grab a few little tidbits, then bend you over backwards if you want it. He has a computer, knows how to use it, watchs the SAMBA classified and does make some shows. I met him years ago at Phoenix Bugorama.
There s a real nice SC there, he quoted me 4 k when I got back to AZ thought about it, well when followed through it wasn't for sale anymore.
Want to hear a good story ask him about the BD Deluxe he has.
My friend did get some 15 inch beauty rings from him.
Maybe we should have a Moab camp-out and everyone invade his place all at once :idea:
It is worth a visit though.


hint. You really need to like cats

Mr. Motorhead Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:37 pm

I've known Tom for quite some time,he's very interesting to put it mildly.He really does not need any money,and,well if you want any of Tom's stuff,you need to pay Tom's price.If it's offered you better buy it on the spot.Don't be a lagerhead and waffle on the price.If you do,you won't be welcome twice.I stop in every time I go that way just to BS and catch up (that takes about half a day) and to camp at the park.

KombiMonster Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:41 pm

I've heard of the place when I lived in Utah also....Never seen any pics or any stories of it till now....

Dave there is a guy down in Payson by the name of Damion...he owns this car.....Do you know him?

dickie Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:56 pm

lin ottinger had/has? a great shop there in Moab. I spoke to him about 10 years ago or so when visiting Moab about his deluxe buses. If my memory is correct, he bought 8 new deluxe buses in 1965 to launch his tour to the badlands and Arches Nat'l Monument business. At the time of our meeting he had 3 still on the road and the rest were being used as parts buses...a hell of alot more classy than the jeeps that were replacing them, it would be one cool ride through Arches at night in the full moon with the top rolled back on a deluxe!!!!!!! It is bone dry down there, so the VW st;uff should be also. Maybe the guy does have a gold mine there. Post some pics if you go. At those prices they are not going to sell fast and maybe will be there as long as the Arches themselves.

Long-roofs Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:03 am

splitpile wrote: Was there last year, I posted pics, no secet and harder then hell to get anything from him and he does have the shit there. He is not a stupid man and loves when all these VW people come there and give him their stories of woo and shit. He'll sit there and listen, let you rummage through the yard, grab a few little tidbits, then bend you over backwards if you want it. He has a computer, knows how to use it, watchs the SAMBA classified and does make some shows. I met him years ago at Phoenix Bugorama.
There s a real nice SC there, he quoted me 4 k when I got back to AZ thought about it, well when followed through it wasn't for sale anymore.
Want to hear a good story ask him about the BD Deluxe he has.
My friend did get some 15 inch beauty rings from him.
Maybe we should have a Moab camp-out and everyone invade his place all at once :idea:
It is worth a visit though.


hint. You really need to like cats

A lonely guy with cats and over-priced VW's with an attitude, no thanks.

Dave Roach Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:13 am

KombiMonster wrote: I've heard of the place when I lived in Utah also....Never seen any pics or any stories of it till now....

Dave there is a guy down in Payson by the name of Damion...he owns this car.....Do you know him?


I cant say I've ever seen this bug before, and I travel to Payson all the time. I thought I was the only vw guy in southern Utah county but I'll be damned. He must have moved here from somewhere else, cause no way someone from Payson could build a car that sick.

Dave Roach Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:17 am

Does anybody know what Tom Tom whats for his split? That, and has anyone ever tried to trade him anything? And whats this about the cats? Is it for real?

Dave Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:52 am

Dave Roach wrote: KombiMonster wrote: I've heard of the place when I lived in Utah also....Never seen any pics or any stories of it till now....

Dave there is a guy down in Payson by the name of Damion...he owns this car.....Do you know him?


I cant say I've ever seen this bug before, and I travel to Payson all the time. I thought I was the only vw guy in southern Utah county but I'll be damned. He must have moved here from somewhere else, cause no way someone from Payson could build a car that sick.

You might be surprised at what comes out of Payson, or, actually, out HCR250, at a place called LaCienega Ranch.... Don't try getting in there, you'll just have to take my word for it.

KombiMonster Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:45 pm

Dave Roach wrote: I cant say I've ever seen this bug before, and I travel to Payson all the time. I thought I was the only vw guy in southern Utah county but I'll be damned. He must have moved here from somewhere else, cause no way someone from Payson could build a car that sick.

It's funny because when I lived there (Orem,UT) I helped him start this car....then he painted it and got rid of it....this is about 5years ago....He got the car back about 8 months ago!..He's currently looking for a good en-expensive motor to throw in it and drive it...(for the first, time) Real nice guy..(he's about 30).pm me if you know of a motor or just want to meet up with him..oh he know of a kewl oval n a garage...tell him to get off his ace and get it!

splitpile Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:09 pm

Dave Roach wrote: Does anybody know what Tom Tom whats for his split? That, and has anyone ever tried to trade him anything? And whats this about the cats? Is it for real?

If I remember right 6 k.
As for the cats, well 1 day we went there to meet him. We needed to get home so called him on his cell phone. About a half hour later he pulled up in his Ford pick me up truck and headed to the front door. It was amazzing, the dam cats know the sound of his truck and before he even turned it off a herd of cats came out of nowhere to his front door. Before he even opened the door he proceeded to open a dead fridge and get CANS of cat food out and proceeded to feed them all. We had to step over cats to get in. When we left a cat wasn't to be seen, they all ate and went back to hiding where ever cats hide.
If ever in the area it's worth stopping by, just to be amazzed at the stuff he has, specialy in the building!

TimGud Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:57 pm

Is his place on the north side of Moab right off the highway?

Ragman Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:05 pm

I've been past his yard. If my memory serves me right, he's on the south side of town on the way to one of the mountain bike rides outside of town (yeah I know good description that could be about anywhere!). I'm pretty sure I saw it when I was on the way to Flat Pass trail.

Roamingwesty Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:55 pm

From the south side of Moab:

Hwy 191 northbound. Approaching Moab, at the first gas station within the city limit (yellow signage,) turn right. At the first 4-way stopsign, turn left. 3 to 5 miles down, look to your right. You won't miss it.

Time your visit to avoid NASCAR or Bronco games.

Cash talks BS walks.. and what other's have said.

Be personable. You get a better chance that way.

Good luck.

54threefold Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:48 am

ive been there to, just like alot of other people has, toms in his early 80s as for the split its not for sale, that belongs to his son tom, tom is a hell of a nice old guy, he came to vegas last year we talked for along time about vws, he has a 55, 23 window that rolled off a mountain in 56 i believe, he turn down 50,000. from a guy in england, the bad part about all them vws are, until tom goes up stairs,(passes) then i do think his son tom will start saleing stuff, but hes a good old boy, i like him, tom

69 Jim Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:07 am

Walk softly, be careful what you say, kiss his ass and get bent over on the prices? No thanks, I'll pass. :roll:

TimGud Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:31 am

Roamingwesty wrote: From the south side of Moab:

Hwy 191 northbound. Approaching Moab, at the first gas station within the city limit (yellow signage,) turn right. At the first 4-way stopsign, turn left. 3 to 5 miles down, look to your right. You won't miss it.

Time your visit to avoid NASCAR or Bronco games.

Cash talks BS walks.. and what other's have said.

Be personable. You get a better chance that way.

Good luck.

Ok, I have stopped at that gas station and thought about driving down that road but didn't. Next trip I will. I also noticed a few VW's on the north side of moab on the way to archs.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group