TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: my speedometer squeaked then died
lpsan Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:53 pm

When I got my bug the meter wasn't working and I was told that something wrong with the cable for the meter. It was actually broken. I just got the cable installed but I heard a squeaking sound from the meter and the meter stopped working suddenly. I checked the cable and it was broken inside. Is this something to do with the meter? I want to know if it's cheaper to buy a new meter, or having it rebuilt. I want to keep the look that my meter has. Or is the same mater still available?

abbiedolphin Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:05 pm

I'm no expert, but it sure sounds like your speedo is siezed up, and the cable snaps once the front wheel gets it spinning. Spin one end and not the other and it's gonna go! Did the speedo ever register any speed when you first replaced the cable, or did it squeek and snap immediately? (sounds like a mouse in a snap trap :cry: )

Juan Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:12 pm

my speedo's been doing the same thing, although it still works... i guess that's what it's about to happen to it.

lpsan Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:18 pm

It registered good first 5 minutes. I was on a freeway to see if the meter worked. Now i know that it doesn't work... Just like you say, it was snapped at the front wheel side. ( the first broken one that was on the meter was snapped at the front wheel side too). Do you know somebody rebuilts the meter? Or i'd like to get same one.

TWD Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:11 pm

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/SearchResults.cfm

vwdub04 Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:48 pm

My problem was that the speedo made a loud noise and the speed needle would jump back and forth. I tried replacing the cable but that was now use.

You need the have your speedo rebuilt. I paid $75.00 to have mines rebuilt. The problem is with the piece on the speedo that you connect the cable to. The problem is that the inside is worn out. I new speedo cost about $200 or more.

lpsan Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:27 am

That exactly what happened. The needle jumped back and forth then died. Where did you send it to? Is it hard to take it off by myself?

RareAir Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:23 am

You can have Palo Alto Speedo or Hollywood Speedometer rebuild it. Or have BFY send it out for you. Rebuild costs about $75-$100

otbiker Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:56 am

Take a few digital pics as you take it apart. It's not hard, just take your time. I think you'll find hardened grease as the problem. Buy another speedo out of a junker for parts just in case. Take it apart, clean it up, re-grease, and assemble. The speedo is good as it worked briefly...

I made a MPH out of a KMH speedo from our Mexi with parts out of a 76.

lpsan Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:02 pm

What do i need for rebuilding the meter?

otbiker Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:57 pm

Patience and a bit of grease... No special tools.

lpsan Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:44 pm

Thanks guys. I'll try to rebuild it by myself.

sixfootdan Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:54 pm

lpsan wrote: Thanks guys. I'll try to rebuild it by myself.

Be gentle getting the chrome ring off.

lpsan Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:21 pm

I just wanted to say thanks for your help guys. I just rebult it with some grease. I was surprised that there was no grease inside of it and it's so easy to do it! It saved me some money!!!
:lol: