TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: E-Brake Help
vwdub04 Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:22 pm

Last week me and a friend installed a new Master Cyclinder.
After which the brakes where adjusted.
:shock: But my E-Brake has to be all the way up in order to completely stop the car from moving.

:?: What step did I miss :?:

angelchild Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:32 pm

being as it will engage, I assume the lever is attached inside the rear drum. Check that there is no slack in the cable where it comes out behind the drum and where the cable goes into the frame/body (fittings are in tight)...and finally did you tighten the loc-nuts on the end of the cable at the e-brake lever? If so, try pulling it full a few times, then re-tighten the loc-nuts...until it applys the brake at less than 6 clicks I think

angelchild Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:33 pm

..I am assuming the brakes work fine with the pedal

LowOldNslow Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:11 pm

your probaly just have to adjust the star nut inside the rear drums it just moves the brake shoes closer and farther apart from the drum you can get the star nut with a flat head through you backing plate just jack up your car and spin the tir adjust the star nut so the brakes rub a little bit then back it off a bit there two stars nut on each wheel do the both on both the rear drums it should work then .

blaze two get at me in the morning,

keifernet Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:16 pm

LowOldNslow wrote: your probaly just have to adjust the star nut inside the rear drums it just moves the brake shoes closer and farther apart from the drum you can get the star nut with a flat head through you backing plate just jack up your car and spin the tir adjust the star nut so the brakes rub a little bit then back it off a bit there two stars nut on each wheel do the both on both the rear drums it should work then .

I'll second checking the adjustment of the rear shoes... do that before making any changes to the adustment of the e-brake cables.

LowOldNslow Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:48 am

it worked for me two days ago