TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: towing question
abbiedolphin Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:31 am

Okay-this isn't technically about the bug, but I know you guys know more than I do about cars in general, and it involves rescuing a bug so... If I get this 74 bug I'm considering, I will have to tow it home. I have a Suzuki Sidekick (4WD, 4 cylinder.) Should it be able to handle towing the bug 5 miles, with a couple of up-hills along the way, or would I be risking my reliable vehicle?

6471 bugs Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:50 am

Congradulations on next project. Your Sidekick should be allright with towing bug. Just make sure steering is unlocked and brake off , car in nuetral. dont forget tow lights or put CAR IN TOW on back window. good luck with new project :!: :!:

vwracerdave Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:04 pm

If the bug has been sitting awhile just make sure there is enough air in the tires 30PSI

joemac Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:12 pm

Make certain the wheel bolts are all tightened. Most important step in flat-towing, next to hooking up the towbar.

Glenn Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:15 pm

I flat towed my 74 Beetle all over the place with a crappy old 84 Honda with a stick.

You should have no problem towing it corss country with the Sidekick.

Just make sure the old Beetle is safe to tow and get someone to follow you. I've seen wheel bearings sieze on vehicles that have sat outside for long periods.

RareAir Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:54 pm

Don't forget a set of safety chains.

itsonlysir Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:27 pm

ALso dont forget , you cant back up useing the tow bar ! and spray some pb blaster of the rotor's if they are rusted up real bad , ive seen them almost stick solid and make the tire drag ! not good ! also dependeing of the tow bar some are adjustable on the bottom of the tung tighrnt it to fit the ball just right !!! and it will be no problem ! :arrow:

abbiedolphin Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:25 pm

Tow bar? I ain't got no stinkin' tow bar :shock:

Was just gonna use a chain-not 'legal' I know, but it's all back roads and you see it here all the time-even on what passes for a 'main' road here. Thanks for the ideas-I will check all of that stuff before proceeding.

Glenn Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:26 pm

abbiedolphin wrote: Tow bar? I ain't got no stinkin' tow bar :shock:

Was just gonna use a chain-not 'legal' I know, but it's all back roads and you see it here all the time-even on what passes for a 'main' road here. Thanks for the ideas-I will check all of that stuff before proceeding.

You're on your own... all bets are off :roll:

sixfootdan Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:29 pm

Glenn wrote: You should have no problem towing it corss country with the Sidekick.

Crosscountry, He lives in Hawaii and his Island is even smaller than mine! :lol: :lol:

Glenn Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:34 pm

MEANIRISHMOFO wrote: Glenn wrote: You should have no problem towing it corss country with the Sidekick.

Crosscountry, He lives in Hawaii and his Island is even smaller than mine! :lol: :lol:

Too funny.

So... how come they have an Interstate Highway then?

RareAir Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:35 pm

abbiedolphin wrote: Was just gonna use a chain-not legal I know, but it's all back roads...

When you hit the brakes on your tow vehicle, the Beetle your pulling will go smashing into your rear end. You'll also have no control of the car you are towing when making turns. Do you plan on having a brave friend in the Beetle you'll be towing to help control it?

sixfootdan Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:35 pm

Glenn wrote: MEANIRISHMOFO wrote: Glenn wrote: You should have no problem towing it corss country with the Sidekick.

Too funny.

So... how come they have an Interstate Highway then?

They are digging a tunnel as we speak! :lol:

abbiedolphin Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:13 pm

FYI--I'm a "she" :D

Yes- I will have a brave soul in the bug, AND I will only do this if the brakes check out okay-definitely don't want either vehicle smashed!

Can't wait for that tunnel to get done!!!

joemac Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:24 am

Quote: I have a Suzuki Sidekick (4WD, 4 cylinder.) Should it be able to handle towing the bug 5 miles, with a couple of up-hills along the way, or would I be risking my reliable vehicle?

Yes, you will be risking both vehicles if you use a chain. Borrow, rent, or buy a towbar. $40.00 insurance is cheap, and you have the towbar for future use.
Please, don't use a chain.

abbiedolphin Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:16 am

Thanks for caring, guys--seriously. IF I do buy this bug (have an appt today at 11:00 with a sales guy :roll: ) I will see about getting a tow bar. Don't have a hitch on my Suzuki, so I will have to borrow hubby's Tundra-he really wants no part of this whole thing--thinks I'm crazy to get another bug when all he wants to do is get rid of his! Oh well.

itsonlysir Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:44 am

i got my tow bar for 51 bucks brand new ! and its allways there if i brake down or if a friend needs it also . get a tow bar and you can do it all buy your self ! and no hitch on a sidekick , hummmm. yea just be easy. :wink:

plotch Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:29 pm

Hope that you have a nice full battery for the brave soul in the beetle. Have been towed in my 81 jetta by a 82 rabbit for miles, like 20 plus and it was a relief to be able to wiper the windshield use the turn signals and such. Haven't done this type of tow for a few years, i highly recommend a cooler full of beer for the towee.

my59 Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:52 pm

Had a friend help tow my mg midget home years ago- nice new length of 1 1/2" hemp rope (nylon stretches too much) tied to the frame at the bumper mounts, other end around the hitch on his Newport, a couple of fancy scout knots, and we were all set

I had told him to tap his brakes before putting them on so we could keep the line tight. He forgot, and effing stopped on the entry ramp on the highway- this being NJ he wanted to make sure there would be enough room for us and the rope to merge. Needless to say, the line went slack, I'm screaming at him to not do anything, then he floored it onto the highway. I watched the slack take up in horror, closed my eyes and ducked.

BAM!!

Well god damn! The rope didnt snap! The front end didnt shred off! The bumper didnt go thru his rear window and kill him. The cops didnt catch us!

abbiedolphin Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:07 am

Thanks for the stories! It looks for now like I won't be getting it. Catch the "oh well..." post if you're interested. I will keep your thoughts in mind for sure though. I haven't given up :P (I have towing insurance on my current 74 bug just in case-cheap and I have already used it once so it has more than paid for itself. :wink: )