TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 5 lug to 4 lug on rear of 67
rloaircool Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:28 pm

I have a 67 and am converting to 4 lug to run flat-4 sprint stars. I am using cb dropped spindles/discs in the front. The question I have is about the rear. Can I use the same backing plates that are on the car now, and drill holes in them to be able to adjust the brakes? Can I use the same bearing caps that are on the car also? TIA

oly29 Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:59 pm

I did the same as you are doing. I got all of my backing plates off a 68. If you use 4 lug rear drums you will have to mill off about 14 MM off the drum snout to fit the short axle on the 67.

sixfootdan Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:03 pm

The drums are not a very hard steel to cut if you do not have access to a mill?

joemac Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:24 pm

I did several pre-68's.
You should change the backing plates and wheel cylinders, as well as the wider shoes. The standoff area on the backing plate, hold down springs, adjustor block, and wheel cylinder centre-line are all different from '67 to '68.
To cut of the hub of the drum, simply mount it and run the car in first gear at idle. Hold a hacksaw against the mark that you made when you measured from the outside of the hub. Once you've gotten a little cutting action in a steady rhythm, you can put it in third. It helps if you have the one wheel held at the opposite side.
Just pay attention to the teeth of the hacksaw, so it's positioned correctly.
Tighten down the nut to spec (253 ft lbs) and see if you can line up the cotter pin. If not, you need to take a file to the drum, in the same method.
In either case, you can't cut/file all the way through, of course. You can get most of it and fiinish after it's off the car.

sixfootdan Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:51 pm

Damm Joe, That's a cool idea! I'll have to remember that one, I like to learn something new everyday? 8)

RareAir Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:39 pm

oly29 wrote: If you use 4 lug rear drums you will have to mill off about 14 MM off the drum snout to fit the short axle on the 67.

Most 67s came with long axles. If that's the case with yours, the new drums will require no machining.

sixfootdan Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:46 pm

[email protected] wrote: oly29 wrote: If you use 4 lug rear drums you will have to mill off about 14 MM off the drum snout to fit the short axle on the 67.

Most 67s came with long axles. If that's the case with yours, the new drums will require no machining.

I believe '68 had a longer spline section than '67 therefore a longer snout?

rloaircool Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:29 pm

thanks everybody for the help!