TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: A/C kit for beetles
Marcus_Brougham Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:32 am

Where would I find one. I saw a link somewhere on here, but cant find it now.

Miguel Arroyo Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:18 am

There are two kits available that I know of. One by ICE Inc., the other by Gilmore Enterprises. I purchased the second one, if you go to the gallery link in my reply you will see pictures of the installation.

I went with Gilmore's kit because the both condensers are locate outside below the pan in the front of the engine. With the ICE kit one of the condensers is located in the engine compartment.

Here is a link for Gilmore Enterprises: www.gilmore-enterprises.com

Good luck.

jhicken Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:47 am

HotRod Air also sells a VW kit http://www.hotrodair.com/vwpage.cfm

-jeffrey

Marcus_Brougham Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:57 am

Thanx guys... The wife will be happy about the A/C. :lol:

Hophead Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:25 am

The thing I did not like about the gilmore set-up(unless they changed it)
was the way they routed the fanbelt in back. they only use one belt. It made a giant inverted triangle. The Ice system uses two belts.

I looked at hotrod air's site... to bad it does not show actual photos of their stuff. wonder what their price is?

I will be running a/c on my 2110 motor.

Also look at www.iceac.com

Miguel Arroyo Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:49 pm

Hophead wrote: The thing I did not like about the gilmore set-up(unless they changed it)
was the way they routed the fanbelt in back. they only use one belt. It made a giant inverted triangle. The Ice system uses two belts.

I looked at hotrod air's site... to bad it does not show actual photos of their stuff. wonder what their price is?

I will be running a/c on my 2110 motor.

Also look at www.iceac.com

I have had my Gilmore A/C for over a year. I live in South Florida and use it most of the time, it has worked beutiful. Of course I carry at least two extra belts just in case.

Kafer Wolf Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:17 pm

if the a/c system uses only one fan belt to drive all three pulleys, won't this affect the revolution ratio of the alternator and crank pulleys?

Hophead Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:45 pm

No, the pulleys will only change speed in relation to each other IF their
sizes are changed. I just wouldn't want to try to adjust things with that big loop in the way. IMO the Gilmore belt set just looks stupid. Big long loops are prone to vibration.

I'm sure it works great. It is probably alot cheaper to manufacture as well. I will take the lead of a Ghia that was in HVW's about a year ago
( sorry I dont have that issue infront of me now). He ran a nippendenso compressor immediatly to the left of his alternator. The compressor ran the same width toothed serpentined belt that the CB system uses. I will be using the BRD brand serpentine system. The belts are a standard width so I can run the A/C in the summer and drop the compressor and run a shorter belt of the same series in the winter or when I'm drag racing. This keeps the belt arrangement short and close together. To me this would IMO also be safer.