TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Large muffler crush gasket??
notchboy Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:58 am

Ron Smith asked me a question last night reguarding a late style muffler with screw on type heat exchangers. Like Im sure 80% of you stock muffler guys have. Well I swapped him a nos unit that needs the HEs screwed on that came with it. The HEs need a crush gasket like a single port head manifold does, where do we find a larger type crush gasket for the muffler, or is it needed, or am I off in left field?????

Russ Wolfe Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:35 am

I made mine on my '66 FB. I used the material from a furnace thermocouple. It is a soft copper, that crushes well and holds up to heat. I made them with a scarf joint (angled) so that they would seal.

Bobnotch Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:16 pm

I'm using a late muffler (71 or 72 style) on my 65, and I used some thin (1/8th to 3/16ths inch thick) slices of 1 1/4inch hard drawn copper tubing. I had discussed this with Jim A., and he even suggested annealing the pieces before installation. It worked great for me. :twisted:

EverettB Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:40 pm

I bought some from Jim Adney a while back but I don't know where he got them. They are obviously available somewhere new...

tristessa Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:23 pm

I've heard of people "adapting" Type 4 oval-port exhaust gaskets to work in there, but have never needed to try messing with it .. the stock VW muffler on my Fasty is still good and solid as are the preheat boxes. And the rockers, and the floorpan, and .. :shock: :lol: