TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: steering box ?'s
slow1964 Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:33 am

Morning, I have just installed a brand new beam in my 64, and i have two questions about it. The first is when i hooked up the steering box and turned the wheel with out any tie rods attached it was rough as hell to turn. This is the same one that came off of the car befor and it worked fine then. The second question is on the new beam wich i got from rocky mountain when they were still rocky mountain there are these horns that are between the trailing arms. what are they for?
thanks for the help

sixfootdan Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:28 am

Did you adjust the steering box at all? The horns get a rubber snubber on the end that acts as a bump stop.

Letterman7 Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:05 am

You have to check the lash between the gears on the new box. My new box was wayyy off - very rough to turn. First one to adjust is that big nut on the end - loosen the outer nut, and back off the inner nut counterclockwise. Turn the wheel back and forth to check to see if it's any looser - recenter the wheel - and turn the inner nut back until it just 'bump-stops' against the internal spline - then back off about 1/8-1/4 turn. Tighten the outer lock nut. Do the top lash adjustment the same way. Your steering wheel should not turn more than an inch before you feel resistance.

Rick