TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1970 Headrest foam question
Kim in Tulsa Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:39 pm

Hello!

I'm considering salvaging the headrest foam from my 1970 Beetle. The foam is deteriorating in some spots and is kind of "dusting" off...not too bad and it doesn't go very deep, but I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this problem before and if there is some way to seal it? With a spray or something?

Here are some pictures...see, this is the front...see the rusty-looking stuff on the foam rubber? That's the part that is affected and was actually where the seat cover had broken away, leaving it exposed.

Now this is the back where the cover was still intact...see, very smooth, cream-colored and pliable foam...

I removed everything but the foam rubber, as it was all a total loss...full of mouse fur and droppings and just rotten. The headrests look like a pain to make and I haven't seen any sold anywhere, so that is why I considered saving these.

Do you think I need to treat them with something or will they be alright if I just cover them the way they are?

emersonbiggins Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:58 pm

I have redone seats in similar condition to what you have. I didn't seal any part of the top foam and didn't have any problems.

If your seats had the buttons through the headrest, try to reinstall those, It really makes for a nice looking job.

Bill E. Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:58 pm

Dont worry about it :lol: Just throw a wal*mart bag with the smiley face on it over it and cut it down some and go for it. The foam will lift right off but store it carefully.

Get some new horse hair or edged foam and cover it. You will need a bigger bag too so the sides slide down but remove that.

Go to the upolstry shop and get some water proof cardboard and use the old one for a template for the seat back.

Save the wires from the old cover and the buttons!

Kim in Tulsa Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:10 pm

Great tips! I won't worry about it, then and just re-do the seats. I wanted to ask just in case, to avoid potential problems down the road.

I don't think these seats have buttons, or they are long gone...wonder if you can get replacement buttons? I do think it would make it look nice!

Thank you for your input...

Kim

Bill E. Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:02 pm

Yeah the front is a little sunburned, maybe this is where the smiley face should go :oops:

You can see the holes in the foam on the back side pic. Map them out so you can find them on the new seats when covered, Maybe the shop has some, 4 per seat, front and back. They arent like shirt buttons, more like coat buttons, where the string connects just to the back side loop.

Kim in Tulsa Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:29 am

Bill E. wrote: Yeah the front is a little sunburned, maybe this is where the smiley face should go :oops:

You can see the holes in the foam on the back side pic. Map them out so you can find them on the new seats when covered, Maybe the shop has some, 4 per seat, front and back. They arent like shirt buttons, more like coat buttons, where the string connects just to the back side loop.

Sunburned...perfect way to describe it. A bit dry and crumbly on the surface.

I saw the button holes when I removed the cover! I didn't know what they were for at the time...now I do.

Are there any links on the web that show the step by step procedure for recovering a seat? I've been careful not to break off any of the little hooks that are welded on to the bottom of the seat frame...

Again, thank you for your thoughts on this...

Kim