TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type 3 exhausts Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
bugnut68 Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:30 pm

Given how expensive stock Type III mufflers are, what brand of single QP/header do you guys recommend for a '71 Squareback? Empi (need I even ask on this brand--lol), Bugpack, S&S, Kymco? Thanks in advance.

Russ Wolfe Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:40 pm

How about the "Over the Top" from ISP West??

Bobnotch Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:26 am

bugnut68 wrote: Given how expensive stock Type III mufflers are, what brand of single QP/header do you guys recommend for a '71 Squareback? Empi (need I even ask on this brand--lol), Bugpack, S&S, Kymco? Thanks in advance.

Have you been looking in the Samba classifieds? Stock mufflers are listed in there for reasonable amounts, sure they might be used, but they probably still have a lot of life left in them. :D Otherwise the ISP over the top would be a good choice as a replacement.

bugnut68 Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:06 am

Next question: what is and isn't available brand new for Type 3's? Especially in terms of mechanical parts, like oil coolers for instance. I know that some repro plastic lenses and stuff are available new and used, but am curious as to what's out there and what I should consider reasonable prices.

I've never been a fan of buying used parts, especially exhausts, as you just never know how long it's going to last.

vwfye Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:18 am

drive on down to Fye's Friendly Type 3 Parts Palace and see if i gots what ya need!

localboy Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:47 pm

vwfye wrote: drive on down to Fye's Friendly Type 3 Parts Palace and see if i gots what ya need!

Just curious, but where are you? Website? Phone #'s...

typfasty Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:13 pm

Sure it's been covered, but any opinions on a 40 series flowmaster? How does it sound and is it very loud? I'm currently running a stinger for comparison.

vwfye Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:18 am

FFT3PP isn't a real place... but bugnut68 knows where it is.

the flowmaster 40 series is very, very loud for a supposed muffler. and it only flows 400cfm of air in the 2.5 inch series... the dynomax ultraflow is much quieter and flows 1200 cfm in the same offering. how loud is the flowmaster? i was at a hot rod cruise last summer and a nova with dual flowmasters was louder than the 455 behind it running lakes pipes with no baffles...

typfasty Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:01 pm

vwfye wrote: the flowmaster 40 series is very, very loud for a supposed muffler. and it only flows 400cfm of air in the 2.5 inch series... the dynomax ultraflow is much quieter and flows 1200 cfm in the same offering. how loud is the flowmaster? i was at a hot rod cruise last summer and a nova with dual flowmasters was louder than the 455 behind it running lakes pipes with no baffles...

I've heard them on multiple V-8's, even have one on my Toyota. Have you heard one on a acvw? Thought I saw one on the ddb site. Martin you have any feedback?

May I ask where you got those cfm figures?

vwfye Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:12 am

i pulled them off of a web site some time back... comparitive testing of cfm of street legal mufflers while i was deciding which muffler i was going to run under my speedster notch

EverettB Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:30 am

bugnut68 wrote: Given how expensive stock Type III mufflers are, what brand of single QP/header do you guys recommend for a '71 Squareback? Empi (need I even ask on this brand--lol), Bugpack, S&S, Kymco? Thanks in advance.

Is $100 or less for a stock muffler expensive?

Mr. Bubblehead Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:58 am

Since we're discussing exhausts, does anyone know the flow rate of the stock exhaust? Will a stock exhaust be sufficient on a high performance engine with increased displacement?

vwfye Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:36 am

i think if you pull the outlet pipe and run one of a larger diameter from the outside of the hole, you could use that on any mild engine up to a 1904cc. the only real restriction of the unit is the outlet pipe's inner diameter on a mild set up. remember, the stock piping is only 1 3/8 anyway.

Mr. Bubblehead Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:44 am

So using the stock exhaust on a 2110 is out of the question?

lapuwali Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:48 am

Where does one buy a new (or NOS) "stock" exhaust? At least the muffler...The parts houses I've looked through online don't seem to carry them. I have what looks like a "generic" header and a single Bugpack muffer (which exits to the left, and rubs on the apron) on the car I bought recently, and it's much too loud. I'd rather not buy a used rusty muffler (or a new rusty muffler). What's the quietest, best-fitting muffler available?

shaner Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:29 pm

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: So using the stock exhaust on a 2110 is out of the question?
and is there any difference between the mexican-brazil make and German made?

vwbullet Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:13 pm

My friend just purchased and installed the ISP West Cermic coated exhaust. Not only down it look incredible, but it sounds great and tucks up way in there. When i get an exhaust, that is what i am buying hands down.

localboy Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:29 pm

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: So using the stock exhaust on a 2110 is out of the question?

I can tell you beyond a doubt that my engine builder told me that on my new 2110 engine flow from the ported heads is of utmost importance. Therefore he told me to use a J-piped header (no heater boxes) of at least 1 1/2". I am using a 1 5/8".

chillz1 Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:38 pm

lapuwali wrote: ..... What's the quietest, best-fitting muffler available?

An OEM one, of course. :D Search e-bay and this site for NOS mufflers. You used to be able to score one on e-bay for under 100 bucks. Maybe you still can.

bugnut68 Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:26 pm

EverettB wrote: bugnut68 wrote: Given how expensive stock Type III mufflers are, what brand of single QP/header do you guys recommend for a '71 Squareback? Empi (need I even ask on this brand--lol), Bugpack, S&S, Kymco? Thanks in advance.

Is $100 or less for a stock muffler expensive?

I was going off of the 150 or 160 dollars that California Import Parts's catalog quotes for either a Brazilian or German, respectively, I presume. But I guess even those ISP exhausts are like 125 dollars, so maybe I'd better just get used to Type III's being a bit more pricey on parts than Bugs (I've never had any Type III's, so this is all new to me).

I'm definitely not cheap, though, so I'd rather pay for quality. For what my car is maybe I'd be better of just buying a brand new stock muffler.