TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: State Inspection Page: 1, 2  Next
USMCbug Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:11 pm

I took the 73 to get inspected today. For some reason, getting someone else to look at my bug made me very uneasy. I litterally have no finger nails left. I am the only one who does ANYTHING to my bug. When I dropped her off I got the same feeling in my gut that I got when dropped my kids off at school the first time. Am I crazy or does anyone else go through this?

Oh, and of course it passed inspection. :wink:

6471 bugs Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:16 pm

I get "uneasy" when other people have to do something to my bug. Took it in for front end alignment. Like a nervous mom all time till it was done. youre not crazy...just vw normal.... :roll: :roll:

USMCbug Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:25 pm

Yeah, I had her aligned too while she was there. The mech that did the work suprised me when he actually got her in reverse. I know most people have a problem with the VW shift pattern but add to that I have an eliminator shifter. Only after he was done did I learn he was from Cali and had owned several bugs in the past.

I did get several compliments on the bug from the folks who worked there.

Glenn Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:28 pm

It's just a "Safety" inspection.

Lights, brakes, horn and seat belt. The engine doesn't even have to run.

USMCbug Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:23 am

Glenn wrote: It's just a "Safety" inspection.

Lights, brakes, horn and seat belt. The engine doesn't even have to run. I know. But the two things I cant do, an alignment and an inspection. It just drove me nuts having someone else poking and prodding my bug. Im the only one whos done anything to her in quite a while and it made me very uneasy.

Glenn Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:39 am

The place I take it they usually stare at the car for 20 minutes and then do a 2 minute inspection.

Since my car is so low, they can't get it on their lift. I have disc brakes so they can see the pads without removing the wheels. The inspection includes turn on the lights, left directional, right directional, step on the brakes, hit the horn and turn on the wipers.

Then they hand me the inspection sticker and I can pit it on the window.

:wink:

Derfburg Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:22 am

Well, here in Arkansas we have no inspections :) But that also gives the Cops a loose reason to pull you over. So you have to be on top of all you lights and what not. Also we have a antique tag, $12 and never have to go to the DMV again, for tags anyway. They changed the law a few years ago that restricted the mileage, its unlimited now.

TeamSpatula Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:56 am

Thank goodness NC just passed a new law this year with a rolling 35 year cutoff for inspections...last time I took my crew cab to get it inspected, they had to call me because they couldn't figure out how to get it into reverse to back it out of the parking place and into the garage!!!!
:roll:
glad that's over with...

Tiny Troll Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:36 am

USMCbug wrote: I took the 73 to get inspected today. For some reason, getting someone else to look at my bug made me very uneasy. I litterally have no finger nails left. I am the only one who does ANYTHING to my bug. When I dropped her off I got the same feeling in my gut that I got when dropped my kids off at school the first time. Am I crazy or does anyone else go through this?

Oh, and of course it passed inspection. :wink:

Oh mannn....hell yes I know what you mean, Seems like it's always some pimple-faced-snotnose that flops down in the seat, slams the door or worse yet tries to light a damn cigarette while moving the car. Then proceeds to grind the teeth off the gear trying to get it in reverse. Normally I'm a pretty laid back,shy and bashful little fella but....such antics have been known to upset me to the point of removing the offending miscreant from the drivers seat with vigor.

later, tiny troll

OiOiOi Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:45 am

So what do they do in inspection? It will be Kaiser's (my bug's) turn to go to inspection soon. The little horn....uhh...the metal...thing...that goes inside the steering wheel you press for the horn has broken off and the horn doesn't work...is that a failer? The wiper's don't work either. I'm guessing we aren't ready for that step yet :wink: .

I had somebody come down to look at my bug, and first thing he did was walk around it, open and the the doors, play around with everything. I was so nervous, I didn't want my little baby getting judged. Turned out he liked my bug just fine though :D .

abdon Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:48 am

Oi, your best bet are Historic plates; no inspection needed. Maryland is rutless when it comes to inspections; the station will find a lot of things wrong in hopes that you will let them do the repairs.

TeamSpatula Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:12 pm

Yes, the horn is usually checked, as it's part of the safety equipment...is it just the ring that's broken? Or is there an electrical problem somewhere? Horns are usually pretty easy to fix...and handy for when someone tries to merge into you...

OiOiOi Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:01 pm

Don't historic plates only let you drive it on Sundays or something crazy like that?

joemac Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:26 pm

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's state inspection calls for having a front and rear wheel pulled (among lots of other things) to check the condition of the brakes, wheel cylinders, etc. I always check the torque of the rear axle nut and the front wheel bearing play. Knowing what I know, I just don't trust them any farther than I can throw an elephant.

honeybus Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:32 pm

In Virginia, the safety inspection includes testing the emergency brakes by engaging them and trying to move the vehicle. Engine running, of course.

Also, the front windshield defogger vents must blow air. For me, with a VW bus, I can get by with the heater fan in the engine compartment for the inspection, but I get my best airflow with the engine running.

ALSO, but not related to the VW running, the safety inspection in Virginia requires that all the emissions devices be present on the vehicle. For me, 1978 VW Federal, this means that I need the EGR filter [VW scheduled the EGR filter to be a replacement item to be replace every TWO years at about $150, if you can find one!!]

Additionally, for the VW buses FI from California and all 1979 VW buses, the cat converter has to be there for a SAFETY INSPECTION!! And to have a cat converter, you need a cross-over pipe.... NLA, of course. And the same with the restricted fuel filler hose. If a cat converter is needed, this item must be there for a SAFETY INSPECTION!! this is WAAAAYYY NLA!!

Barry sends

abdon Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:33 pm

OiOiOi wrote: Don't historic plates only let you drive it on Sundays or something crazy like that?

Not on Maryland. Some places spell out when you can drive a historic vehicle. On Maryland you are not suposed to use the car for daily transportation, but there is no actual limit on when that is.

From the horse's mouth:
Quote:
Historic:

The vehicle is 25 calendar years or older and has not been substantially altered, remodeled, or remanufactured from its original construction, or
The vehicle is between 20 and 24 model years old and is a model, of which the manufacturer produced 1,000 or fewer models for that year, as verified by the manufacturer (supporting documentation required). The vehicle has not been substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured from its original construction, or

The vehicle is between 20 and 24 model years old and is a make that the manufacturer no longer produces, as verified by the manufacturer (supporting documentation required). It is not substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured from it original construction.

Street Rod:

The vehicle is 25 years old or older and has been substantially altered from the manufacturer's original design.

Vehicles classified as historic or street rod certify the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways.

Steenkbug Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:44 pm

abdon wrote: Oi, your best bet are Historic plates; no inspection needed. Maryland is rutless when it comes to inspections; the station will find a lot of things wrong in hopes that you will let them do the repairs.

Unfortunately in Virginia Historic plates only allow you to drive in parades, shows and things like that. You cannot use it as your daily driver. (Otherwise I would have been all over that)
-Me

ymerej Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:32 pm

When I got mine inspected (MD) for the first time I was really scared they'd break it... After the first inspection the guy told me that he nearly lost control on a bumpy bridge, and that i needed to fix a bunch of stuff (they did need fixing). Luckily the guy seemed to know what he was doing through many years of experience, though not much on vw's. Still, he's the only person to have driven/ wrenched on my car besides my immediate family since I got it. I've got just plain tags on mine since I wanted it to be a semi-daily driver, though with numerous engine problems it's lucky to be a weekender.
One scare my family had was when my brother got his car inspected the guy forgot to tighten the lug bolts on the front wheel, and so while in tow the one front wheel flew off and into a ditch. The tow bar was scraped up, and the fender was bent some. Since my brother did all of the work himself, he was rather upset, though in the end we didn't do much to fix it due to the large # of hours for a small bend and paint chip.

honeybus Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:35 am

Steenkbug said:

"Unfortunately in Virginia Historic plates only allow you to drive in parades, shows and things like that. You cannot use it as your daily driver."

Steenkbug, Virginia Code has only one reference to "historic" as related to our 'mature' vehicles.

The link is:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-734

and the first section of the code is:

§ 46.2-734. Reconstructed and specially constructed vehicles; inspection requirements; storage of unlicensed vehicles;

A. On receipt of an application therefor and written evidence that the applicant is a hobbyist and is registering a reconstructed or specially constructed vehicle built, reconstructed, restored, preserved, and maintained for historic or hobby interest, the Commissioner shall issue to the applicant one special license plate, which shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle.

For the purposes of this section, "hobbyist" means the owner of one or more reconstructed or specially constructed vehicles who collects, purchases, acquires, trades, or disposes of reconstructed or specially constructed vehicles or parts thereof for his own use in order to build, reconstruct, restore, preserve, and maintain a reconstructed or specially constructed vehicle for historic or hobby interest. << MORE >> See the link!!

Steenkbug, I have a '72 VW registered as a 'vintage' and a '76 VW registered as an 'antique'. Is that what you are referring to??

VINTAGE = I have the correct Virginia ORIGINAL 1972 licence plates (a pair) and the number I have is a valid number. I can continue to keep these 1972 plates [$10 one time charge] if I chose to change the status of my 'vintage' to a regular daily driver. I just have to pay the normal annual fee, as you would with a passenger vehicle. BTW, I drive VW buses, and they are considered MPV.

ANTIQUE = the DMV sells you a pair of white/black plates or black/orange plates. I picked the black/orange plates for my '76 VW Safare because the VW is white over orange [$10 one time charge].

HISTORIC = this is a possibility.

Other Virginia Code references

§ 46.2-100. Definitions.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-100

and

§ 46.2-730. License plates for antique motor vehicles and antique trailers; fee.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-730

Significant quote:

"D. Except as provided in subsection E of this section, motor vehicles and trailers registered with license plates issued under this section shall not be used for general transportation purposes, including, but not limited to, daily travel to and from the owner's place of employment, but shall only be used:

1. For participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events; and

2. On the highways of the Commonwealth for the purpose of testing their operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, transportation to and from events as described in subdivision 1 of this subsection, and for occasional pleasure driving not exceeding 250 miles from the residence of the owner. "

. . . but DO READ the whole link to get the whole picture.

Barry Burneskis
Springfield Virginia

Steenkbug Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:07 am

Niiiice... I guess I should have read the whole code. (And listened here and there)
Thanks
-Me