TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fuel leakin down carb
Bill E. Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:50 pm

At first I noticed it drippin off throtle shaft when the car was turned off, then removed air cleaner and noticed it drippin/runnin out of the tube and on center of the throtle plate.

It is a 34-3 carb and I put a different needle valve in it and it still did it. Seems to do it more when the car is parked uphill. Does it when the motor is first turned off, but have also seen it drip when the motor is runnin.

I looked at it again today and it still leaked after I had the supply line off the carb. Is this fuel shut off valve or do I need more washer under the needle valve?? There is a elec fuel pump but it leaks when hose is off.

clearsurf2001 Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:59 am

Have you checked your float level?

TeamSpatula Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:00 am

How is the float? If the float has a hole in it, it won't float up high enough to push up on the needle valve and turn it off...

USMCbug Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:02 am

The needle valve might have some crap on it causing it to stick. Try tapping on the float bowl lightly with the handle of a screw driver.

karfer67 Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:22 am

sounds more like the float but you gotta watch it with new gas. for some reason it seems to clog the heck out of vw carbs if you let it sit too long.

joemac Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:56 pm

ELECTRIC fuel pump?
Is there a pressure regulator?
If it's dumping more than 4 1/2-5 lbs into the carb, that'll do it.
Fuel pressure isn't one of those things that, the more, the merrier.

Bill E. Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:09 pm

I put a double washer under the needle valve 20+30.
Checked the float and no leaks, switched for a german one.
Put the float pin lug on with the loop away from float.
Switched the cut-off solinoid for a german one.
Blew out a few of the jets (idle, air correction, pilot, aux fuel).

I ran it for awhile and stopped often on different hills with the air cleaner off and didnt see any drippin down the throat :lol:

Wish I was patient enough to only do one at a time to see which it was.
I think it was the float lug but could have been the bocar float in the solex carb. The bocar cut-off valve was a little looser than the german one.

Bill E. Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:17 pm

I got a fuel pressure regulator and a fuel pressure guage for testin it.

I want to run the regulator cause I have an electric faucet fuel pump. I dont know what it puts out and want the pressure down if needed. I will remove the gague when I have the regulator dialed in cause it has no markings. And I want less clamps and splices.

Where is a good place to mount the regulator??? By the pump under the tank? Or upon the shroud or firewall? Maybe under the parcel tray?

With the 34 PICT-3 what pressure do they like???