TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: not sure about nose cone . . T3 trans in splitty
gerg Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:44 am

So I did some searching before posting this but came up with many answers for someone in the 'middle' of installing another trans into their split.
My problem is that I am told that my singlecab has a T3 trans in it. I do not know if the PO has installed the correct nose cone. What would the symptoms be if I had the wrong cone on it and still needed to change it?

I had a heck of a time getting the shift coupler installed yesterday. The original coupler was split in the center from age, but I remember the OD of the that coupler was pretty dam close to the bottom of the body - dam near touching it. Now, I have an OG type coupler to install but it was at my house across town. I was installing a urethane coupler that a friend had on hand. It was a pretty tight fit on the shaft, I assume this is because the coupler ID is a bit small.

Any ideas? Anyone have the part number of the cone I need? I want to get it right if I can.

Thanks!

NAES Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:54 am

You need a type 2 nosecone. 211 XXXXXXX part number. I don't know what all works but I know type 1 & 3 don't.

gerg Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:59 am

So in the event that I cannot read the part number on the cone that is on the trans now, are there any visual differences I can look for or any noticeable problems that I would have? I mean, would the trans even mount into place with the wrong cone or might it jam up against the floor? Just fishing for info here.

Thanks,

Skim Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:23 am

gblakeney wrote: So in the event that I cannot read the part number on the cone that is on the trans now, are there any visual differences I can look for or any noticeable problems that I would have? I mean, would the trans even mount into place with the wrong cone or might it jam up against the floor? Just fishing for info here.

Thanks,

Theres no way it would have been driven around before without the type 2 nose cone installed.
Also, it will be a tight fit between the body and the coupler. Thats normal with the straight axle tranny in a bus.

gerg Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:55 am

Skim - I don't think this was ever driven. It was a project that went on hold over 10 years ago. I am glad to hear that the coupler is a tight fit - I really thought that was bad.

Do the shifter shaft and input shaft line up at all if the wrong cone is on? These are really close, if not perfectly inline - I mean I can get the shafts to go into a coupler, they are lined up pretty good. I just think the urethane coupler I had would have gone on better had I sprayed it with some lube.

gears Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:20 am

The Type II hockey stick is also required.

Rex Surewood Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:20 am

I think the t2 cone has the shifter offset from t1-3 about an inch or so.. So it wouldn't line up at all..

KombiMonster Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:54 pm

gblakeney wrote: I just think the uerthane coupler I had would have gone on better had I sprayed it with some lube.

Mine was a paint to get on also..I sanded the shaft alittle and it helped...

Oh...I don't have a T3 tranny either..but mine is a straight axle

gerg Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:35 pm

SO here is an even better question - How can I tell if this is indeed a T3 tranny? The drums are narrow like my bug, BUT the bearing caps are very short - there is no slinger between the seal and the end of the cap like my '65 bug has. The seal presses in almost flush with the outer lip of the bearing cap.

Also - the axle tubes look like they may have been lengthened (sort of like the axle animation linked to here on the Samba) . . . but instead of welding them at the tranny end and concealing the weld inside the boots, it looks like the tubes were cut about 6" or so from each end casting, slid apart, and then a larger diameter 5" section of tube was slid over the original tube ends and welded such that the axle tubes are now the right length with the short castings. In other words, if you follow the axle tube from the backing plate towards the tranny, there is a section about 5" long where the tube is fatter then it goes back down to the original size.

gerg Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:15 pm

So I was able to snap a pic of the nose cone part number today and it looks like 211.301.211G I know the 2 means it is type 2 right? That number sound right for my SC?

Here you can see how close the nipple is to the floor and how far it is from the torsion tube.

And here you can get an idea of how the center of the shafts are off like 3/8" or so. I think if I slot the tranny mount just a tad it will drop the noes a hair and the shafts will line up nicely. That a good or bad idea? The nuts are not in place for the tranny mount to frame and I can already pull it down a hair. The shafts are on center front to back, just that the tranny shaft is a little higher than the shifter tube.

gerg Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:21 pm

Bump . . . Anyone have any info relative to my last post?

Much appreciatted!