TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Collapsable Stearing Column
ronhmason Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:43 am

Any info available on how hard it would be or even if it's possible to replace the non-collapsable stearing column in my 1966 Karman Cabriolet with a collapsable stearing column, say from a 1967 Bug?
Any advice appreciated,
Ron

RareAir Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:11 pm

67s didn't have collapsible column either. I think VW installed those during the mid 70s?

Mike J. Goode Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:24 pm

1968 was the first year for those. If I can get my way out to Dr. Darby's house to pick up one he's been holding for me for a year (sorry Darby), I plan on installing it in my '67. Better than hitting the track with a spear sitting in front of you, aimed ait your face. BTW-'68 in the US anyway-a friend of mine has a 1970 Mexican model and it has, along with single circut brakes, 5 lug rims, late model bumpers and hood, low back seats-a non collapsible steering column).

ronhmason Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:07 am

Thanks for the info but is it possible to replace the non collapsable column with a collapsable one?
I've had my bug for about 9 months and have had to do a complete brake job and replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing and I'm not a mechanic. However, I do have some books and tools and my wife knows how to read so we actually pulled the engine for the clutch job.
But if you go to your VW Club meeting and start telling everyone that you and your wife pulled the engine you're not gonna inpress anybody. They'll say "Well, it's only got 4 bolts holding it in there." and they're right, but if you tell your non mechanical friends that you and your wife pulled the engine and replaced the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing--they'll think you're some kind of a mechanical genus.
Anyway, I have not worked on the stearing column so I don't know much about it.
But if I could come up with a collapsable column, maybe it could be swaped out---watcha think?