TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dual carb 1981 aircooled VW bus.
twinfalls Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:19 pm

Hi,
I wonder if it does exist ?
If soo, which bus, engine and carbs.

Please, forgive me, if my question is stupid.

Rocknrod Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:50 pm

I wonder if the Type 4 air cooled engine every came carburated?

Rick73Super Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:19 am

Dual carbs can be found here:
http://www.carburetion.com/index.htm
Sorry I can't send you an exacat link, they use aspx pages.
There are dual 34s.

mjamgb Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:58 pm

Carbs. Not a good alternative to properly working FI. Fix yer FI.

Having said that, the early type IV engines were carburated, Like '72-73 1800cc. Check the Bay window forum and they can give you all the gory details (and probably tell you to keep the FI!).

Mike!

twinfalls Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:39 pm

Thanks, more about why I posted here:
Some guy told me about "tuning dual carbs on a VW aircooled 1981".
I think there is no such a VW. A joke or some engine mod.....

I know for sure that, carbureted Type 4 were manufactured before August 1974. No later carbureted type 4.

I beleive there is none in later stock VW's either. Am I right ?

mightyart Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:52 pm

some early european aircooled vanagons came with 1.6L engines instead of the 2.0L that all North American Vanagon's came with. I don't know much about these, except they died a quick death pushing this much weight. The cheesy Haynes manual describes single carbs on both the 1.6l
and 2.0l but they where single carbs not duals. So it would not be stock.

mjamgb Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:10 am

Someone could have easily put an earlier engine or intake system on their Vanagon. Or just installed dual webers, delOrtos or kadrons, fer all I know.

Not as delivered stock in the USA, though

Mike!

citylimon Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:45 pm

I have seen pics of 1.9 and 2.1 waterboxers in England with a single Pierburg carb with water going through the manifold to keep it hot. This was stock. Who says vanagons weren't made to run with carbs. I have dual 40 idfs on my 84 and it runs great ( 5 minutes to warm up if its like 15 degrees outside), has better pickup and great passing power even at 4,000 rpms. Gas mileage is equal to F.I., and everything else is stock. I would have stayed with F.I. if it was on the van when I bought it, but carbs are not evil. Plus, if it starts with some funny business, I don't have to spend three days tracking down the problem. I say go with what you like.

beatsalad Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:05 pm

an 81 aircooled dual carb vanagon... sounds like mine. exactly like mine.
i switched cause FI sucks everything.

Blood Loss Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:13 am

http://www.amazon.com/Vanagon-Air-Cooled-1980-1983-Haynes-Manuals/dp/1850100292

I have a copy of this book (link above).
It has a US spec vanagon fuel injection troubleshooting/repair section
and a UK spec vanagon dual carb troubleshooting/repair section both with plenty of detailed photographs.
The carbs are 26mm venturi solexes
with electric chokes.

Volksaholic Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:16 pm

The stock carbs I put on my '73 were Solex 32/34PDSIT if I recall correctly. I had a hard time finding a rehabilitatable (is that a word?) pair because they were notorious for wearing out the throttle shaft bore. Once I rebushed them with bronze bushings from Lowe's they worked great. Still, I would rather move forward with a more modern FI system than drop back to carbs, even though I'm sure they can be set up to run reasonably well.

teo66 Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:04 am

twinfalls wrote: Hi,
I wonder if it does exist ?
If soo, which bus, engine and carbs.

Please, forgive me, if my question is stupid.

European transporter/vanagon had duel solex 34s stock. im till looking for them. or a duel carb setup that will fit under the hatch on a 81 transporter/vanagon. its not a joke...