TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Does anyone know of or has heard about this happening?
drew. Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:48 pm

Okay, Here's the story. My bus is registered 64' but body style and numbers stamped in engine compartment totally and unmistakably are 67'. There are no other tags or I.D. plates on this bus, The California (San Jose) police removed and destroyed all tags except one green one below cargo doors. At the time, My brother and I had about 10 VW's at our house. Some one had reported us as a chop shop so the P.D. came out and towed all VW's instead of requesting titles for all vehicles before towing. We showed title for everyone of them, and after having to pay 50.00 each car for a release fee. when we got the cars back, all I.D. tags were removed due to there explaination of Non-matching VIN and motor #'s. Which didn't make sense but that's what there excuse was. Hence the reason why no tags on this bus. You don't want to know about the Oval window that they dropped on it's almost perfect front apron and the type III sunroof squareback they side swiped and etc.

We talked to the head guy about the situation but he showed us the statute stateing "they have the right to remove any vehicles from any property if just cause was established for possible vehicle theft." Their just cause was the complaint and a officer checking the VIN #'s against the Engine #'s. They claim there wasn't any matching #'s so they opted to tow and then contact us. We explained that the only way they could see the VIn #'s was if they entered the vehicles illegally. Plus the #'s wouldn't match cause most people change the motors. This all happened in the early 90's and we didn't have money to retain a lawyer. It cost to much to get the cars back. Bastards!!!!

I originally bought the bus for my dad in the late 80's. I was told by seller that the original owner had converted the bus from 6 volt to 12 volt in 67' by taking it to a dealership. When he got the bus back, It was the way you see now minus wear & tear and of course with a motor.

There was a riveted tag under the cargo doors that verified the 6v to 12v change at a VW dealership but was removed and destroyed as mentioned above.

Is that possible? Does that even sound possible. He gives them a 64' 6 volt and then he receives a 67' 12 volt? The only other reason I could think of is they changed the year due to DMV smog exemption on the earlier year, But how do you change the year on a vehicle? Would like if someone could let me know If and where I may find any info about this happening. I would also like to find out the history on this bus if I don't sell it. Thanks!!!!

The bus is in the classifieds, I may sell but really don't want to. It was my father's. :?:

frijole73b Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:07 pm

I personally would sue them for destruction of property. The fact that they removed you vehicles without warning is a violation of your rights. This is on the same principle that some steals a car. My guess is someone had it in for you that why they call the cops. Also being california, maybe a shifty mechanic need a 64 tag and decided to use yours and give you the excuse about the smog stuff. Call a lawyer

Ps. I am not saying that all californians are bad,

vwjosh6070 Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:22 pm

67 came factory 12 volt. just my 2 cents worth.

drew. Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:25 pm

67 was the year that the seller told me when the original owner had it converted.

marklaken Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:26 pm

12volts was an option on pre-'67 busses...not sure if it was a factory or dealer option, but my guess would be that it was a factory option....copnverting them to 12 volts is not that big of a deal...i think it could be very possible to have a dealer do that in 1967 (or earlier, or later)...possiblyt when the swapped out the engine (since the '67 engine could have been all set up with the proper generator, all you'd need is a starter, a regulator and some different light bulbs (I think?)

vwjosh6070 Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:33 pm

well i know it was an option for pre-67 buses, but this one looks like a 67

and plus he said the numbers stamped in the engine compartment are 67, so therefore why would this bus have to be converted to 12 volt, when it should have already been 12 volt?

marklaken Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:43 pm

drew. wrote: My bus is registered 64' but body style and numbers stamped in engine compartment totally and unmistakably are 67'.

I was told by seller that the original owner had converted the bus from 6 volt to 12 volt in 67' by taking it to a dealership. When he got the bus back, It was the way you see now minus wear & tear and of course with a motor.

There was a riveted tag under the cargo doors that verified the 6v to 12v change at a VW dealership but was removed and destroyed as mentioned above.

Is that possible? Does that even sound possible. He gives them a 64' 6 volt and then he receives a 67' 12 volt? The only other reason I could think of is they changed the year due to DMV smog exemption on the earlier year, But how do you change the year on a vehicle? Would like if someone could let me know If and where I may find any info about this happening.

so did the original owner buy it in 1964?...i'm confused...the picture josh posted looks like a '67 to me...plain and simple and the registration papers are wrong...

splitsick Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:06 pm

Looks like a '67 to me! My guess would be for emissions, I think '64 was the first year you did'nt need smog in CA.

VWAdam Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:18 pm

Not only is that a '67, but a later '67 with reverse lights.
I agree it may have been for smog reasons.

drew. Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:47 pm

1st thing... I figured the smog thing years ago but there's that little bit of curiousity still wondering if the story is true.

the story is:
1. I bought it from the third owner. He is a good friend of mine. I went with him to pick it up from the second owner.
2. She (2nd owner) bought it from the original owner.
She was the one that told us that story of the 12 volt conversion. As anyone who knows me will say, I really prefer the 67 VW. I've owned numerous 67 bugs, type III's and busses with earlier ones in between since 1985. I knew when seeing this bus that it was 67' but one of the 3 tags that was under the cargo door was a dealership 6v to 12v conversion tag. I know this cause after my buddy bought it, he checked on it with Bob Lewis VW dealership in San Jose. That's what the dealership said the tag was. That is the only reason why I question the 64 year. If it was originally 67 then why would it need to be converted? Anyways, Thanks for your time and if anyone knows of a tag that was installed by dealerships for a conversion, please let me know.

vwjosh6070 Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:36 pm

maybe they put the tag on to try to hep convince the california people that it was in fact, a 64 instead of a 67??

localboy Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:16 pm

Maybe it's just a simple typo. The numbers 7 & 4 are right above/below each other on keyboards and adding machines. Just a possibility...human error :roll:

drew. Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:43 am

never thought about that? Well, In any case thanks to you all.