TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: OK, polarizing or not?
62daily Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:03 pm

after my alt took a dump the gen light had been on for about a week. now that i have switched out the alt (AL82N) with the same one, the light is still on..cant get it to go off, my dad and his friend both suggested polarizing it so the light wont get opposing voltages and will turn off. well ive been reading the forums and i just see polarizing for gens but not for alts..do you have to polarize it? is it possible and if so how? i was told to ground the feild terminal to the alt housing. Im guessing B+ is the feild. am i making sense? if i CANT polarize it then what will make my light turn off?

The Noof Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:19 pm

You DON'T polarize an alternator. Even most of the generators that you buy have been bench tested, so that means they're already polarized.
As far as your alternator issue goes, you obviously have another issue. Is yous internally or externally regulated. There are 2 types. I suspect yours is externally regulated (look under the back seat, on the drivers side heater channel). Check the voltage on the battery terminals with the engine running at 1200 rpm or so. Should be 13.75 to 14.5.

turboblue Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:36 am

AL82N is internally regulated.
Did you bypass the original regulator under the back seat?
Do a search on how to do that. It's been covered many times.
The wire coming from your dashlight (should be blue) needs to plug into the small spade connector on the alternator.

Airsick Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:40 am

bypassing the regulater is easy just take the two small gauge wires (blue, and/or green) connect them. Then take the three large gauge red wires and connect all of them. Voila' its that easy.

62daily Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:58 pm

ok so heres the wiring deal, ive heard much about the regulator bypass wiring setup but there is no regulator under my back seat... i have my thick red wire from my pos. terminal going to B+ as well as another black wire (which im not sure where it leads, but will look tomorrow) and a thin black wire coming from the D+ pole (reg.) which i assume goes up front AND THATS IT, nothing else. thats the wiring. what am i missing? what should be here?

turboblue Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:57 am

So what year is this car? I assumed a 62 by your sig line.
It appears to me that it you car has already been converted and the conversion was with another AL82, hence no regulator. You should just have to hook up those two wires you mentioned and it should work. If not, something is probably wrong with the new alternator. Was it an AL82N or AL82X? The X is a rebuilt unit.

62daily Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:12 pm

its N, the last one was an X (rebuild). its running fine but the light just will not go out. i think ive covered all of the bases...i dont wanna cook this one like the one last did.

Any other advise? Anyone?

62daily Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:03 pm

guess not...

The Noof Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:35 pm

Have you actually checked the alternator output?f it's o.k., you may have a wiring issue.