TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Lowered the rear and now the tire rubs on the inside. Page: 1, 2  Next
TheVintageVw Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:21 pm

Just finished lowering my 59 in the rear. Didnt go down too far. Its a 59 so i cant say how many splines as they are not visible but my tires right on the fender. Some camber at the wheels.

My rear tires rub on the inside. Feels like its on the torsion arm. When i roll the car i can hear tire squeaking. Is there any fix to this? I havent heard anyone have any problems.

Thanks

TheVintageVw Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:52 pm

bump for some answers.
Stock wheels and 165/15's

sixfootdan Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:00 pm

Get it up on jacks and put some blocke under the tires and rest it. Then you can see wher it rubs. you might need a spacer between the rim and drum? I have never seen 165's rub but it's poss? Rabbit lug bolts are longer if you need a spacer but make sure they don't hit the brake hardware in the drum?

TheVintageVw Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:04 pm

well i can feel where it rubs. Its on the Carrier/torsion arms. I can only imagine it getting worse with people inside.

Thanks for your feedback

sixfootdan Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:07 pm

I really can't picture how it would be rubbing there with a 165? Take some pics?

TheVintageVw Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:39 am

i will try to get some pictures tomorrow, BUMP for some help and ideas

TheVintageVw Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:57 am

to the top for some help

joemac Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:26 am

Most problems such as what you're encountering are attributed to worn out spring plate bushings. Did you replace them?

air-mike Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:25 am

I'm driving 195 in the back, and dropped 2 splines no rubbing.

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=107259[/img]

Airsick Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:45 am

LITTLE HELP

NorCalLowLife209 Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:48 am

Damn they do stick out, Does it have shorter rear axles?

glandnut Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:59 am

Those rear wheels appear to have been widened and/or backspacing changed, maybe that's the deal.

bill may Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:26 am

what is definition of "carrier torsion arms"? spring plate? is this a swingaxle 59 suspension on rear?

Ragman Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:31 am

The posted picture above is not the 59 Bug in question. That's a 62 bug that Maq-van posted where he said he is not rubbing.

glandnut Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:44 am

Ahhh, I was confused.

TheVintageVw Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:09 am

joemac wrote: Most problems such as what you're encountering are attributed to worn out spring plate bushings. Did you replace them?

can you give me some more info on this? Mine looked pretty decent.

TheVintageVw Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:14 am

Here are some pics i just took, this is with the car on the floor and not on jacks.

Alan Willis Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:21 am

The offset on your rims is weird! They look further in than factory.Are the front tires the same size?and are the front rims the same offset as the rears?try switching the wheels on one side and see if it stops rubbing.the factory wheels should not rub even when the car is that low

TheVintageVw Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:21 pm

Alan Willis wrote: The offset on your rims is weird! They look further in than factory.Are the front tires the same size?and are the front rims the same offset as the rears?try switching the wheels on one side and see if it stops rubbing.the factory wheels should not rub even when the car is that low

yea front and rear tires are both 165's.

The rim kinda does looks weird but it seems to be factor as it has a vw logo stamped on it.

When i boughtt he car the rear wheels were reversed to give it a dish affect.

Alan Willis Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:05 pm

Do the front wheels have tabs for center caps?Try putting the front wheels on the back,and the rears up front,see if that helps.It looks like the rear wheels are spaced further back than factory