TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Pulling Dents Using "Ding King"
tgobrera Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:51 am

I have a small-medium dent on my non-painted fender. I'm thinking of using "Ding King"(As Seen On TV)product. Has anyone used this? Are the results positive or negative?

sixfootdan Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:53 am

I would guess that a dent on a Bug fender would not pull too well because of the contour of the fender?

Calisupastarz Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:26 am

I have a friend of mine that started a business doing paintless dent removal about 5 years ago. He owned a car detailing business and decided to sell the business and get into this line of work because of the tremendous amount of demand he was getting from his detailing customers.

We were discussing the "Ding King" product and he was telling me what at POS it is. The suction cups that are used are extremely weak, probably not stong enough to pull the dents out of old school, original fenders, maybe strong enough to pull the dents out of new cheap Brazilian fenders. But in any case, if the dent is fairly decent sized, and if you want your car to look good, I would look into hiring someone to pop it out for you.

Inside of a Beetle fender should be a pretty easy task, and because you aren't going to need any materials (primer, paint, clear, etc) it should be pretty cheap. I would venture to say that you should be able to get it done for around $50-$100, not as cheap as the $19.95 (plus shipping and handling) for the Ding King, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

karfer67 Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:12 pm

ever notice how on the tv ad when the thing pops off the fender they cut away really fast? well i was board one day when they were running it constantly and watched it in slow mo. they show it poping a dent out of a blue body panel and what they don't show is sure it got the dent out but because the two cups are pushing down on the fender it made two MORE small dents. sounds like a winer to me.

RareAir Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:33 pm

Since your fender is non-painted, why don't you just bang it from the backside with a body hammer & a shot bag? Small dents should pop out easily.
Why waste time & money on a product (that doesn't work) that was intended for use on painted fenders?

onelowzuki Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:25 am

I have popped dents like that by putting a rag in the palm of my hand and actually pushed (really hard) them out from behind, a rubber mallet from behind works well also

tacky Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:47 pm

i think the "ding king" is made by the same people that make the "micro turbo nose hair trimmer". need i say more?

69calibug Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:55 pm

Also those products are made for the paper-thin steel of todays cars. And yes, in the commercial you can see waves in the metal that it didn't take out. Definitely junk.

59 vw guy Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:07 am

Dont you stick the cups on with hot glue also..