TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fiberglass Oval or Split Window Kit? Page: 1, 2  Next
enhancedgraphics Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:58 am

I remember reading some where about these fiberglass kits that convert your newer (64-79) Beetle into a older oval or split window. Now that I'm looking for these things, they are impossible to find! Can anyone help me find what I'm looking for?

vdubvr6 Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:32 am

enhancedgraphics wrote: I remember reading some where about these fiberglass kits that convert your newer (64-79) Beetle into a older oval or split window. Now that I'm looking for these things, they are impossible to find! Can anyone help me find what I'm looking for?

vdubvr6 to the rescue!! http://www.vwinnovations.com/index.html

aggro_jo wrote: Dear fashion police,
lay the hell off this guy. It's his car and the question was simple. I'm sorry I dont know where to purchase the kit. You might try the fiberglass vendors that advertise in HVW's and maybe they can point you in the right direction

you're right! to each is own! i kinda like those kits myself; fake or not! how many of you out there can really tell the difference at a glance that it's not the real thing? bet ya couldn't!!! 8)

Alan Willis Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:41 am

Actually its quite easy to tell after the first six months! Thats about how long the gel-coat and filler last until they start shrinking! I remember when that garbage first came around('94) And almost everyone was installing that crap in their cars,only to find a few months later that the fiberglass was cracking and the seams were becoming exposed due to the sun.If you have any doubts check out a 'vette;most daily driven 'vettes have cracks out the ass,and require multiple paint layers to help combat the problem.

Dave Roach Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:44 pm

Alan Willis wrote: Actually its quite easy to tell after the first six months! Thats about how long the gel-coat and filler last until they start shrinking!

I've installed several of these kits and the biggest problem is the installer will put too much hardener in the filler between the window and the kit. After a few months, you will start seeing the cracks. I imagine they could use too much hardener in the making of the kit, but I've had no problems with the kits from vw innovations, (formerly glass action). If you want the split look, or are building a clone, use theirs. Shipping from them usually takes around a months, DESPITE WHAT THEY PROMISE! :x If you can deal with that, their kits are awsome.

Also, I dont think anyone has come out with the oval window kit due the fact that you can buy an original clip pulled from an oval for $100 all day long.

Nid Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:39 pm

My biggest question is what bout the stock air vents? Do you have 2 sets of vents? That'd look like ass.

Dave Roach Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:28 pm

Nid wrote: My biggest question is what bout the stock air vents? Do you have 2 sets of vents? That'd look like ass.

The ones from vw innovations have new vents, so you have one set of correct length vents. There were some OLD school inserts made that used to just pop in where your window went, but I hear those go for $400 - $600 these days, and they dont look authentic.

Follow this link to see what the vw innovations kit looks like:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=107905

RareAir Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:37 pm

Alan Willis wrote: I remember when that garbage first came around('94) And almost everyone was installing that crap in their cars...

Dude, they've been around since the 80s

RareAir Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:40 pm

I kinda like seeing a Split on the streets, even if it is a fake. Cruise on down to Mexico (Rosarito, Ensenada or Tijuana) Those guys down there love the "fake split" look. Some even go through the trouble to graft in windscreens & dash sections to really complete the look.

Dave Roach Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:44 pm

You could pretty much buy all the parts to make a split window aftermarket, that is everything but the dash. You still have to buy a OG peice. But its a helluva lot cheeper to make a split window than it is to buy one, and thats if you can find one for sale anywhere near by.

RareAir Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:14 pm

Dave Roach wrote: You could pretty much buy all the parts to make a split window aftermarket, that is everything but the dash. You still have to buy a OG peice.

Not anymore. Fiberglass dual pod designs are now available for $195

http://thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=127849

Guess a person can create/build their own Split now

enhancedgraphics Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:15 pm

This Guy is really stupid! "Oh these kits have been around from 94 on" "I know everything and the fiberglass cracks after a couple of months" Hey numb nuts.....do you think the fiberglass products in 1994 are the same today? I agree with all those who helped me out! Split is the way to go, even if it is fake. And when I go to resale it, I'll get more than what yours is worth Alan Willis.

RareAir Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:32 pm

enhancedgraphics wrote: I agree Split is the way to go, even if it is fake. And when I go to resale it, I'll get more than what yours is worth.

Building your car to suit your desires is one thing, but don't believe that building a pseudo Split will increase the value of the car. If you're looking for maximum resale, keep the car stock. Values have been ever increasing on original, non-modified cars.
Build the fake Split because you like the look, not because you might make some extra $$$ when it's resale time.

enhancedgraphics Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:48 pm

Thanks dad!

sixfootdan Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:05 pm

Do what you want to make it "Your" ride, But [email protected] is correct about the resale topic? :wink:

Dave Roach Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:15 pm

enhancedgraphics wrote: Split is the way to go, even if it is fake. And when I go to resale it, I'll get more than what yours is worth Alan Willis.

If your all going to be anal annies about it, (which you are) he said his split will be worth more than Alan Willis', not a restored one. Dont jump all over the boy cause he's excited about his split.

bill may Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:31 am

since it is not a 67 beetle - i would get the split kit rather than oval. there is even a fiberglass body replica of oval window availible out there. glass w hood,randar front hood and etc. shucks ,i would roll with it....

happy hoppy Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:21 am

Iam all for "making it your own"
I dig customs!
but it will crack.
you can't change the laws of physics, sheet metal and fiber glass have different expansion and contraction rates.
over time after many heat up and cool down cycles ( motor on, motor off , the weather, sunlight, cold nights ect. ) it will crack.

if you must, and sometimes we must ! ! when you 'glass it in, ruff up the metal you are bonding to with 36 grit sanding disk , make some serious grinding marks in the metal!
the 'glass and or the "glue" you used to hold the clip in requires a "mechanical" bond to the metal.
if you get it VERY CLEAN and ruff up the metal it will not crack so fast.

BUT!, eventually it will....sorry.

HELL, do it anyway, I like 'em, it looks better then stock !

bill may Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:39 am

all i know is if enhanced "goes to resale his" and allen willis goes to resell his,then the one that RESELLS will get money and one that RESALES wont get anything in my opinion..

bk63rag Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:39 pm

If i was doing somthing like that i would look for a metal oval or split section.The split section would be hard to find though :? .A 64 or earler body would work beter for that swap .Years ago when i was in Phoenix there was a guy with a 64 or earler body with a oval section on it all black it looked good .I did,nt know it was,nt real until i noticed the frount windsheld.Do what you want to do its your ride :)

dub_crazee Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:50 pm

i dont mind the conversion myself...but only on standards....saw a split rear on a 1303...that sucked ass!