TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Source for '59-'61 Carmel Brown pleated upholstery
Stanagon Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:05 am

I'm looking for a source to purchase some Carmel Brown upholstery with the pleats ('59-'61 Standard Bus). I only need to do my front bench seat.

I noticed that Wolfsburg West did not list Carmel Brown as an available uphostery color on their website. I did send an e-mail to West Coast Classics asking for a quote.

Does anyone know of any other sources for this material? I've got good local resources for doing the upholstery work, but would like to source some material that is very close to the original stuff. I have not asked the local upholstery shop to see what they can come up with yet.

thanks,

Stan

iamdonquixote Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:45 pm

Stan

from what I gather the closest thing out there is TMI material which may not have heat seams..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89518&highlight=caramel

rob

splitpile Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:53 pm

Stanagon wrote: I'm looking for a source to purchase some Carmel Brown upholstery with the pleats ('59-'61 Standard Bus). I only need to do my front bench seat.

I noticed that Wolfsburg West did not list Carmel Brown as an available uphostery color on their website. I did send an e-mail to West Coast Classics asking for a quote.

Does anyone know of any other sources for this material? I've got good local resources for doing the upholstery work, but would like to source some material that is very close to the original stuff. I have not asked the local upholstery shop to see what they can come up with yet.

thanks,

Stan

Douglas from Upolstery Haus in Snotsdale has the correct carmel color fabric I've been told.

vwtony2 Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:28 pm

Stan, most of the "bigger" VW places either sell upolstry from TMI or some use Sew Fine, when I went on the same hunt your on I talked to a person at TMI and she told me that they can get close to carmel brown, but it all depended on who their supplier was for that shippment (as they are a business and shop on price) which led me to believe that they were not the choice to go to for this color combo, it was almost like the lady I spoke with was politely persuading me not to attempt their color of carmel brown.... keep us posted on your findings

vtomike Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:43 pm

There is a place in oregon called smsautofabrics.com . They have like 50,000 kinds of fabric. Send them a sample and they can match it. I got my palm green-sand green material from them and it was the same color and grain. It is kind of pricey like $40 dollars a yard.