TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wont Start, but Turns
MehowClassic Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:24 pm

I'm sure this is a minor trouble-shooting problem, but I lack the experience to solve my starting problem. The motor will turn over . . . but it won't fire up. The motor has run very well in the past (just yesterday), and always starts right away with no problems. But today it just wouldn't start. It seems to me as though its not getting gas or maybe a spark.

I think it maybe the Carb. because sometimes while just crusing with the gas-pedal held at half-way down, the motor will suddenly decelarate a bit, as though I dropped off the pedal (When I Haven't) . .. but then when i add a little more pedal pressure, the car will come back to were it was.

or maybe its the spark, how can i check if the distributor is doing its job, and if the motor is getting the sparks?

Thanks

RareAir Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:30 pm

Pull the distributor wire from the cap. Hold it about 1/2-1" from the cap and have someone turn over the engine. You should see a nice arc between the wire & the cap if you have spark. The farther away you hold the wire, the weaker the spark, so try not to hold it too far away (closer the better)

MehowClassic Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:34 pm

i'll try that, Thanks. Do U have any guess as to what is up with the decelaration? Carb. problems?