TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Stock 67 Bug fuel filter and vacum line position/location
aircooled Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:34 pm

I'm trying to find out what is the correct location /postioning as it came from the factory for the fuel filter and vacum line. I've seen the fuel filter both positioned next to the carb or far off to the left side. Also the vacum lines position seems to vary also. What is the correct original location for these items. This is a car without the dealer add air conditioning.

Thanks

bill may Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:55 pm

the only filter was inside the gastank rest of locations are butcher jobs waiting for a fire. short piece of vacumn hose to tube ,then short piece of hose to carb. the tube goes higher than vacumn port so gas dont travel dowh tube and hoses and eat rubber in canister for vac. advance. the tubing between hoses looks like upside down J

Bill E. Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:34 pm

Where can I find one of the tubes for the vac. on the dist. I went to a SVDA and I just have a piece of vac line strung up under an air filter closing latch. The orig is long gone......

Are they the same for the different carbs???

bill may Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:47 pm

i make replacements out of brake line tubing. i copied an original.

aircooled Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:37 pm

Thanks for the help. So all of us who run fuel filters in the engine compartment is an added item. Is there any pictures of an original 67 engine set-up from the factory anywhere. The more questions I ask underscores how much there is to learn if your going back to original.

Thanks

OddballLN Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:24 am

in 1967 the fuel filter never goes in the engine compartment. Factory had it located inside the gas tank as a brass sock. but when this gets clogged, you should rip the sock off and put a fuel filter by the transmission i have several pictures of the placement that works very well. http://www.wolfsburgii.com/fuel.htm just scroll down a little on the page.

Kris Styes Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:18 am

Fuel and spark combined or contained in any area of any engine is not good. Simple chemistry. While most, if not all, VW’s have adequate airflow to help with gas vapor within their engine compartment, nothing is perfect.

I agree with all who state that a fuel filter does not belong in an engine compartment.
There are many ways to install a fuel filter in a VW. What is important to remember, is that wherever you put your fuel filter you should use the best quality cloth braided fuel hose you can find. Good VW shops will have this. This hose is like “Chinese finger handcuffs”. Once you slip the hose onto your filter or carburetor fuel intake, it’s extremely hard to pull off. In most cases, you will have to cut the hose to remove it.

I see many installations of the plastic disposable fuel filters. They work well. But when I see this filter attached to non-cloth braided fuel hose or slick rubber fuel hose that worries me. Additionally, I get concerned when I see any hose connected to any filter with hose clamps. You are just asking for trouble when you use any clamp on a fuel hose. People tend to over tighten the clamps, thinking that “tighter” is “better”.

If you use the plastic disposable fuel filter (like so many of us do!), then tightening a hose clamp on the plastic ends of the filter may cause cracking.

A lot of fires in a VW engine compartment happen when the brass carburetor fuel intake becomes loose. Most of them are compression fit. Check this fitting often for tightness and seeping.

LOL,

Kris (Kansas)