TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '65 In the Boneyard (New York)!
Duncwarw Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:00 pm

I have never posted here before since I have a '73 bay, but I thought this was important.

I happened to be in a junk yard in New York recently and they had a '65 splittie. When I asked about it, I was told it was without title and that it was removed from a storage unit after being abandoned. It looks to be mostly all there except the side doors (where my slider would be).

It's blue and white. If I had any money to spare, I'd do whatever I could to get it out of there.

Specht's Auto Recycling
102 Covered Bridge Road
Warwick, New York
(845) 986-1052

speed holes Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:44 pm

Good luck getting a complete vehicle out of a salvage yard without a title. If the yard has any ethics at all you're screwed. Slip the owner a $50 bill for the "paperwork fees" and see what you can do.

69calibug Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:43 pm

Damn, wish I was closer! If it has no title, you could get one from a title company. I've tried to get 2 VWs and a nice 280Z out of junkyards in NY with no success. But with enough cash offered and a flexible owner, it may be possible.

Duncwarw Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:06 am

Yeah, I asked about the title thing.

They said it's time consuming and can be expensive but that older vehicles are easier. Apparently, newer cars have multiple copies of the VIN all over the place and they all have to match. If you're doing a restoration and replace parts that can be a problem. I'm not sure, but I think a splittie only has the VIN in one place?

It's a shame. They had a shell of a Ghia convertible there a while ago and they said at the time there'd be no way it could ever go on the road. Eventually, I'll have to find one for the boss. For now, I'm still fixing up my Westie. Next project!

UZI Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:20 am

i'd go back there, get the VIN, send it off to broadway title, wait a few days for it to come back and go buy the bus from them.