TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: what is the easiest way to replace window wether seals ?
rivas240sx Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:47 pm

I have to replace the window seals on my bug. Everyone says its easy but mine have the metal trim slip ons any suggestions on how to tackle this job??
:shock:

Miguel Arroyo Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:09 pm

Get a high quality seal from TMI or Wolfsburg West. I got mine from Wolfsburgwest including new aluminiun trim. When you remove yours make sure you clean the areas where the new seal will sit.

Make sure the trim is warm by laying it in the sun an hour or so before installation (I live in Florida so that is easy to do). Lubricate the new seal with either soapy water or silicone. install the rubber with the aluminiun trim on the glass with the help of a friend. Use the rope tool both suppliers sell while your assistant is ouside the car pushing on the glass.

Good luck.

abdon Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:42 pm

Miguel said it already but it is worth repeating: Get high quality seal. The cheap stuff is worthless. If the damn thing is 1/2 inch longer that it should be, it will be a royal pain to put it in.

rivas240sx Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:18 pm

Thanks for the tips guys, I've also heard I should install my headliner before putting the window seals. Is that ture? and if it is I noticed some adhesive on the inside of the window ring to i have to use some for the headliner?? doesnt the overlapping of the adhesive and headliner make it harder to put in the window seals??
:roll:

volkswagenut Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:33 pm

i would try to do the head liner and windows at the same time . take all windows out . then head liner , then put new head liner in, then windows . the head liner and glue should not affect your window instalation. '' dont push to hard on the windows . or the obvious will happen the front window gives me the most trouble , i would start with a side window first they are easier to me .i would soap up the rubber and the opening too. wolfsberg west might even have a dvd. or some kind of instalation video.

sixfootdan Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:49 pm

Do not soap up the rubber you can have bubbles everytime it rains for months! Use windex, it's alcahol based so it will evaporate once the glass is in. :wink:

abdon Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:37 am

rivas240sx wrote: Thanks for the tips guys, I've also heard I should install my headliner before putting the window seals. Is that ture? and if it is I noticed some adhesive on the inside of the window ring to i have to use some for the headliner?? doesnt the overlapping of the adhesive and headliner make it harder to put in the window seals??
:roll:

If not outright imposible to get it right, it would be extremely painful to put the headliner after the ruber seals. In order to stretch it tight the headliner gets glued to the window ridge. The seals are installed on top of that.

Get the Jbugs interior video. You will be able to see the whole process.

rivas240sx Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:52 am

I've been told that the headliner comes in a 2 piece and a one piece. Any recomendations on which one? which one is the original on a 1964 bug? and where do you can i purchase a high quality one?
:?:

volkswagenut Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:28 pm

i get most my stuff at wolfsberg west that is just because they carry all good german stuff no junk . the service is good and they are very helpful when ordering . they are very smart on the vw stuff . if you call them you will see what i am talking about. but i m sure there are other places that are good . TMI is good to i think i am probly going to buy my interior for my 59 there.they have a lot to chose from.