TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Brake Lock Valve
ronhmason Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:05 pm

I've seen a thing advertised in the magazines that goes somehow in your brake line to lock the brakes so nobody can steal your car.
Can somebody explain to me where that thing would be attached to the brake line that wouldn't be hard to get to or maybe I just don't understand the thing at all.
Thanks,
Ron

dub_crazee Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:33 pm

Guesing it's lineloc and you hide the lock button? if im correct you connect the valve in at one of the front brake hard lines and feed both front brakes off this using a t junction and block off the other front outlet on the master cylinder.

Mayy not be the same though.

mr. wizard Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:52 pm

the ones i have seen require re routing the brake lines into a central box (the lock) which is located inside of the car. you depress the brakes applying them, then lock this box which will keep pressure on the brakes. the car can be started but without the key for this box, the brakes cannot be released, and therefore the car doesnt move.

Alan Willis Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:44 pm

You can use it on the front or rear brakes,they also have one the ties in with a remote which works great! with the rear brakes locked they have no chance in hell on moving your vw!

RareAir Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:14 pm

I think you're referring to the $25 brake lock right? It sits in-line with the main line going to the rear. You apply the brakes, push down the large button and it closes the internal valve so the brake pressure to the rear brakes stays pressurized. Viola, locked brakes.
The line-lock device that everyone else seems to be referring to has the same basic principles, but uses an electronic solenoid to open/close the valve. These are used for staging just before launching for a race. You can't use this as a theft device because once the electrical is shut off, the solenoid valve returns to the open position rendering it useless.

mr. wizard Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:47 pm

the one i remember actually had a key lock. i believe i saw it in an old rod & custom magazine. it was being targeted to hot rods because it requires some rerouting of lines from stock positions.

RareAir Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:54 pm

mr. wizard wrote: the one i remember actually had a key lock. i believe i saw it in an old rod & custom magazine.

I remember those things. Hot VWs had an indepth install in their July 86 issue. Haven't seen or heard of it since though. Newer versions don't have the key to lock it :cry: