TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Spark plug wires and plugs
jackstraw Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:15 am

I have a 1600cc Dual Port engine on a 1966 VW with Bocar 34mm carb, stinger exhaust. I am replacing the spark plugs probably with Bosch double platinums and I want to change the spark plug wires also. Local auto store (Oreilly) has their brand and borg-warner brand (which is supposed to cut down on radio noise, I don't even run a radio). I am looking on suggestions for a good performance boosting plug wire that are not going to run me $200. Please let me know

I just aquired the car and so far I have replaced the starter, battery, ran carb cleaner in carb, changed oil and cleaned oil screen. It back fires something terrible and at the moment is not drivable because every time I shift 1st to 2nd gear 2nd to 3rd gear the engine bogs and I have no acceleration. A guy I work with suggested buying a carb repair kit to get the accelerator pump because chances are that is what is needing replaced. Does this sound right or does anyone know another place I should look for the problem?

TeamSpatula Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:45 am

www.busdepot.com
has all the plugs, wires, etc you need...I'd personally suggest using Bosch Super plugs, instead of wasting money on the platinums...
Have you adjusted the valves? try that first...check for vacuum leaks as well - those could contribute to your problems...
check the timing too, once you get all the wires & plugs swapped out...

TWD Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:54 pm

All of the previous suggestions should be done, but don't forget to check the distributor to make certain that the advance is working correctly. If your distributor has two vacuum lines going to the can, make certain that they are installed correctly. Do a search, this has been covered many times.

Alan Willis Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:38 pm

Are you running a 100,000+volt ignition system?If not buy a set of bosch super spark plugs and bosch wires,you will not see any improvements in the ignition by putting high dollar plugs and wires on that car

RareAir Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:41 pm

Stick with Bosch W8AC plugs ($1/ea) and 8mm Bosch copper core wires ($18/set) As Alan stated, you're not going to notice some vast improvement installing anything else.

Glenn Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:43 pm

Just get the Bosch copper plugs and black slicone wires.

Fancy looks and more money won't work any better.

bill may Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:00 am

get type 3 wire set. they go in cap with 90 degree ends instead of sticking up in the ait-neatness. use W8AC super bosch plugs.

jackstraw Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:21 am

I bought a set of Bosch Super plugs, and someone suggested Bosch Copper core wires, well I already have those on it so I guess I will stick with those.

Problem still occures, found a bad hose going from fuel filter to carb, replaced but still have same problem. Also I checked the points on the distributor and loosed the nut that holds the distributor and rotated clockwise/counter clockwise to check timing and I think I got it set right. So tonight I will work again till it gets too dark and see where I get.

To check vaccum are there special tools?

thank you all

RareAir Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:12 am

jackstraw wrote: To check vaccum are there special tools?

If the distributor is removed from the car, you can insert it into your mouth and blow really hard, but you'd need an extra set of eyes to see if the advance mechanism moved.

You can also use some carb cleaner to see if you have any leaks in the connecting hoses.