TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: About Fuchs...
vihannes Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:13 pm

What is the most popular Fuchs rim in our Typ3?

I quess it's Fuchs 2.0 - what is the origin car (type) it was made for?

I have original Fuchs 914 rims. They have VW stamp, and are all over "grey".

On picture galleries I have seen similar rims, but with black base/backgroud and polished "spokes". What is type of them, or are they some kind of replicas?

DOes anyone know when Fuchs rims were first time manufactured?

Thanks!

Critter1 Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:54 pm

vihannes-
If you were trying to add a picture with your post, here is how.
First add a picture to the gallery here on the samba (or on any other site). Then right click the picture and copy the address location. When your ready to add the pic to your post, click [img] paste the picture address then click [img] again.

[img]picture address[img]

hope this helps

lapuwali Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:09 pm

The "2.0 Fuchs" originally came on the 914 2.0 in 1973-74 (and may have been used into '75-'76). 5.5x15 in size. A real Fuchs will have a stylized fox head logo on the inside (Fuchs = Fox), and should have a part number starting with 914 (914.xxx.xxx.xxx, I can't remember the whole number) also on the inside. They're aluminum wheels, and weigh 9.5 or 13.5lbs each (sources differ, I have three of these wheels with no tires on them and they're 10lbs on my inaccurate scale). The replicas are all cast, and will weigh a good bit more than the originals, which are forged.

Originally, I believe they were all silver, but all black finishes and black backgrounds with unpainted "spokes" are common finishes, too. The black is nearly always paint, not anodizing.

This "2.0 Fuchs" is the only four-bolt Fuchs available, so it's pretty much by definition the "most popular Fuchs" used on any VW with four-bolt hubs. All other real Fuchs wheels are five-bolt in the Porsche bolt circle, and there are only a few variations on one style available, that being the five spoke "windmill" pattern seen on most 911s. There are several widths and offsets of these wheels available, some originally for 911s, some for 944s. All of them are forged. All of them are relatively expensive (more than $250 a wheel, some are more than $500 a wheel). The 2.0 Fuchs is usually about $100 a wheel in nice condition.

vihannes Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:16 pm

Interesting...

I added picture to my original topic (thanks WSacFasty!)...
So, what are these rims called?

Size is 5.5 x 15.

lapuwali Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:59 pm

vihannes wrote: Interesting...

I added picture to my original topic (thanks WSacFasty!)...
So, what are these rims called?

Size is 5.5 x 15.

That's probably an actual 914 2.0 Fuchs wheel. Look on the back for the 914 part number and the logo. If they aren't there, it's a cast replica.

SquareD Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:51 pm

The only replica wheel of this type that I have found is from Eagle Wheels

http://www.eaglewheels.com/index.htm

They are the Series 73, found in their Classic Wheels section. They are also one of the few wheels that has a decent offset to go with the wider wheel: 35 mm offset on a 5-1/2 inch wheel keeps the the inside of the tire in the same position as a stock wheel.

lapuwali Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:01 pm

That's not a bad looking replica. Note it's 17lbs, where the real thing is at least 13lbs, and may be 10. Interesting that they charge the same price for new as used real ones go for.