TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wanted Split Type 2 Color code
myV Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:48 pm

Hi,

Is anyone know where to look for original split Type 2 color code - inside the car or engine compartment? My 1960 splittie has original green color but not too sure the color name and code? Is anyone out there can help me or any website has this information?

Thanks

Karl Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:48 pm

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/colors/colorchrt.htm

mintonman Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:08 pm

It should be behind the passenger seat on the dividing wall on the m-code plate

gerg Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:32 pm

Problem I found with the M code plate is that (at least in '60) there was no code for the color - mine was sealing wax red from the factory but the M code plate says RED . . . not Lxxx or what ever the code is for SW red.

FrenchBus Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:34 pm

RED is correct i think!
:wink:

gerg Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:42 pm

I agree . . .but certainly there is an 'L' code for SW red eh? As in Sea Blue is NOT blue, but L360 . . .

campingbox Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:50 pm

If the '60 bus has the provisions for the headliner (claws) aroun the front cab area then the mcode plate should read GRGREEN along the bottom line which labels the bus as Mango Green/Seagull Grey.
The interior color should would be Caramel brown.
I have seen a couple 59-61 standards which were red/white and the mcode plate was labeled with an SK paint code (like the westy's).
All of these red/white busses had the caramel brown interior.

campingbox Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:54 pm

gblakeney wrote: Problem I found with the M code plate is that (at least in '60) there was no code for the color - mine was sealing wax red from the factory but the M code plate says RED . . . not Lxxx or what ever the code is for SW red.

They started listing the paint code sometime between May '63 and Nov '63.

gerg Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:43 am

Cool - was that true for type 1's also or just the type 2 ? Glad to learn that - thanks!