TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Correct engine details for a 57?
ronnie Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:03 pm

I'm having a new engine put together for the 57, and I'd like this one to be as close to correct as I can get it. It was built in march of 57, i think on the 19th. Which fuel pump and distributor should I have? Should the crank pully have the lip that curves over on the face? I was told by a trusted source that it shouldn't have the lip, but someone else was so certain that was wrong, that it's caused some doubt.

Also, somewhere along the way, I lost my thermostat, the rod that screws into it, and whatever hardware there may be that attaches it to the lever that works the air control(for lack of a better term). I can't find one local or in the classifieds, so if someone has one they'd part with I'd appreciate it.

hazetguy Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:15 am

lipped pulley, i'll speculate a vjr4 br8 distributor.
maybe this thread could help too:
http://thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71472

campingbox Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:05 pm

ronnie wrote: I'm having a new engine put together for the 57, and I'd like this one to be as close to correct as I can get it. It was built in march of 57, i think on the 19th. Which fuel pump and distributor should I have? Should the crank pully have the lip that curves over on the face? I was told by a trusted source that it shouldn't have the lip, but someone else was so certain that was wrong, that it's caused some doubt.

Also, somewhere along the way, I lost my thermostat, the rod that screws into it, and whatever hardware there may be that attaches it to the lever that works the air control(for lack of a better term). I can't find one local or in the classifieds, so if someone has one they'd part with I'd appreciate it.

Ronnie, the original engine for my '56 subhatch westy (Oct 55 build), chassis #20-147419/Engine #20-118XXX had a thick lip bottom pully, thick lip top pully, square (black) voltage regulator, and later style fuel pump.
I believe most of the changes from early to late were between March/April of the '55 calandar year.
I'm convinced enough that my 10-55 bus has thse newer features that I ran with those/what was on it when the engine was rebuilt/restored.

ronnie Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:17 pm

thanks for the info. guys. i went to see the builder today and the case is rotten in the bottom. second one! on to the third.