TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Starting problem
sacbug Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:59 pm

I purchased a 66 bug (converted to 12 volt) and cannot get it started. I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condensor, and coil. I am still not getting any spark from the plugs. When I try and start it, the car turns over and occasionally backfires (it doesn't have an air cleaner on it). After about a minute, the car no longer turns over and all ya hear is a clicking sound. I have also tried boosting the car and that doesn't help - it just turns over faster. Any suggestions? I have no idea what state the engine is in. Thanks!

Alan Willis Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:11 pm

Sounds like the timing is way off! Are the plug wires in the right firing order?Is the distributor in correct or 180 out?If it backfires it's obviously getting spark!

volkswagenut Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:18 pm

hey i would check the timing it might be off . also im not sure if it might affect the spark or running the 66 vws have a one year only black box in them you might check that too . i would say it is your timeing though. that is what i would check first you can look in any good vw mechanics book and it will explain how to do that . you might adjust the valves to while you where at it, that would not keep it from starting but it will help it to run alot better . same book on how to do that to . check your points gap too if you have not allready.

6vE Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:23 pm

I'm sure the more experienced members here will be more help, but if I were you I'd get the John Muir book.

I'd check compression and adjust the valves first off. If it's backfiring, there must be spark, right?

Could also be the timing is way off or the plug wires out of order?

But basically, follow the tuneup procedures and all should be well, provided you're getting good compression, from what I understand.

66SunBeetle Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:54 am

I had the exact same problem on my '66 12 volt. Found out the plug wires were on backwards because it would only backfire before. Changed them the right way round and it fired up imediately! Felt really stupid.

L-jetronic Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:37 pm

Yes , this is what happens if you put your plug wirse on wrong.

vdubrida70 Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:45 pm

its either ur spark plug wires are on wrong or ur timing is off