TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How do I stop accelerator pump leak?
berniedd1 Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:44 am

I was having problems starting my bug and found the trouble to be "no accelerator pump gas squirt into the carb throat." So I overhauled and cleaned the ol' 30PICT1, blew out all the passages with compressed air but still no dice. So I did the whole thing over again but replaced the accelerator pump diaphragm with a new one. Yep, that fixed it. Today, I drove the car for an hour on the highway and had 3 episodes of a momentary stalling that lasted only a half second or so, but otherwise was OK. After 5 hours in the parking lot, I found it wouldn't start again. I raised the rear hood and saw that the part of the fan shroud directly in front of the carb was wet with gas. And so was the accelerator pump part of the carb. NOT GOOD! I also discovered that a small jet of gas shoots out of the front edge of the accelerator pump onto the fan shroud every time I quickly open the trottle valve. I tried to retighten all of the 4 screws that hold the accelerator pump cover onto the carb body but they were all tight. I know I didn't bend the mating surfaces of the pump cover at any time. Any suggestions on how to seal this leak? I'm thinking of cutting out the outer edges of the old diaphragm and sandwiching it between the new diaphragm and the pump cover. How about using a gas proof sealant? Any opinions are welcome.

RareAir Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:50 am

If you did bend or tweak the mating surface of the accelerator pump, you can easily remedy the situation. Remove the cover portion of the accelerator pump. Place it on a piece of flat glass along with some 320grit wet/dry sandpaper. Rub it (pump cover) along the sandpaper till you get an even surface. Reinstall the pump cover on the carb[/i]

1955ccbug Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:52 am

Or, you could of just pinched the diaphram when you put it back on.

vicsvw Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:09 pm

Make sure the ck balls are in place and free. More info See -> Solex Parts Book Break-Down <> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/0.carb.solex.htm and the links from this page. Have a Fun Day. Vic

Bill E. Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:18 pm

Yeah what those two said, could have been a funky gasket set too.

But pretty mild compared to mine....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=102775

Any help would be appreciated as my daughter is gettin pissed if she cant drive. Well I wont let her drive it till its fixed and I know what the real problem is and can fix it.

Thanks for your help if you recognise this problem :shock:

Zundfolge1432 Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:22 am

Yesterday I noticed this same problem on a buddies car and it brought back a memory from 1979 when this happened to me...

Here's what happened when you have all the parts, screws, jets etc, together at rebuild time its easy to mix the choke pull-off cover screws which are longer with the accelerator pump cover screws.. The longer screws bottom out and feel tight but as you see it makes a nice leak.. Compare length of these screws to see what I mean.. ;-)

Jim- :D