TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1500 Oil Cooler Seals
Stevie Fierce Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:14 am

I've got my great running 1500 up on the stand and im installing some new gaskets/seals around the motor. with my oil cooler, the new bugpack seals seam a little larger in diameter than the ones that were on there. they fit great into the openings on the case but its the area around the case that is in question. the previous ones do seem to be original but im not 100%.
while tightening down the cooler, the new seals seem to squish outwards and stick out a bit from under the cooler. anyone have any advice on this? are they the right seals? is it ok for them to "squish" like this? thanks guys.

also, does anyone have any advice on aftermarket push rod tubes?
mine are damp so im changing the seals, but im not sure if i want to swap in new tubes. are there dependable aftermarket ones out there that will hold up nicely. the motor runs so nicely so i want it be nice and dry.

bill may Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:40 am

are the seals you took out green in color? is the block stamped H0 or H5? look at old seals for cooler if green in color and see if one side is smaller than other side(if green they are usually an "adapter" seal) - has the block been changed over to a doghouse setup?

Stevie Fierce Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:48 am

bill may wrote: are the seals you took out green in color? is the block stamped H0 or H5? look at old seals for cooler if green in color and see if one side is smaller than other side(if green they are usually an "adapter" seal) - has the block been changed over to a doghouse setup?

the seals are not green they are black but do seem to be (after close inspection) that they are different sizes from one another. the case is an H0 and has not been converted to doghouse. thanks for the quick reply bill.

bill may Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:57 am

check in your gasket kit then-should be correct ones in it. you have a 1967 only 1500. they squish down to form seal.

Stevie Fierce Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:01 am

ok cool, the ones i installed seem to be the same sort of fat seals that are on later engines. they must be different on my 1500. are these oil coolers the same as 1600's? and what about the push rod tube question? thanks!