TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: reduction box flip? spindle flip? my bus needs help Page: 1, 2  Next
Ed1 Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:02 pm

can anyone help me find the tutorial on the redux box flip and the spindle flip. my bus will be a nice rat looker if i drop it and money is an issue so i cant afford the irs swap or even a strait axle kit. i have not got it running yet but my mechanic told me that i would never go any faster than 35mph with the reduction boxes and my 40 horse motor. is this true? i wanna be cheap about this so any help/advise is welcome

BarryL Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:03 pm

My '65 had a 40 horse in it for 10 years and 240,000 miles. It went from San Diego to Florida to Maine to Washington state twice and multiple trips in between at 60 mph with downshifting on hills to 20 in second and 35 in third but most of it was at 60 mph. I don't know where these mechanics get their info. Maybe they're thinking of a Vespa 50. I don't know the "flip" link but I'm sure it will pop up soon.

Partbug Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:10 pm

Get a new mechanic he just wants to do work on your bus

pyrOman Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:11 pm

Just DON'T do it! Just say no!!! :shock: There is NO "flip"! If there was such a thing everyone would be doing it. :roll:

Drive it as is, save your money, and when ready do the drop properly. The life you'll save may be your own! :?

BryanM Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:24 pm

Go here:
www.hoodride.com

They can help you out.

Also check out Kustom Coach Werks. They sell an Oiling system for flipped reduction boxes that they engineered so your bearing will not burn up.
Good luck!

I predict at least 100 new busses rolling flipped this year!

Z Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:24 pm

Step 1: Find a mechanic who knows what they're talking about. This is not a knock against you, but the 35mph comment is B.S. Any mechanic who says that is almost surely not the one to trust with your bus mechanical work.

Ed1 Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:13 am

i think he was just making fun cause ive had a few bugs that hes worked on all in bad shape but all had 1600s. hes a great mechanic. he makes fun because i said this was gonna be a rat looker and he has nothing but nice and clean v dubs with all the go fast parts

pyrOman Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:22 am

BryanM wrote: Go here:
www.hoodride.com

They can help you out.

Also check out Kustom Coach Werks. They sell an Oiling system for flipped reduction boxes that they engineered so your bearing will not burn up.
Good luck!

I predict at least 100 new busses rolling flipped this year!

So it's not a cheap "project" and that'll be 100 buses on the ruin road! :roll:

But hey, it's your ride, go ahead and knock yourself right out! :?

Ed1 Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:16 pm

still have no clue what im doin

jeremyrockjock Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:32 pm

My advice is learn how a vw is suppose to work before learning how you can modify it's works.

pyrOman Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:53 pm

Ed1 wrote: still have no clue what im doin :?

STOP! :shock: Step away from the tools and nobody will get hurt! :lol:

jeremyrockjock wrote: My advice is learn how a vw is suppose to work before learning how you can modify it's works. :-k

Them are words of wisdom right there! :wink:

Erik G Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:14 pm

no offense to anyone, but this thread is filled with half truths

if he has a flipped redux box setup, and the small tires required to go that low, quite possibly, his max speed could be 50mph LOL

yes, you can flip spindles and redux's, it's not the best way and it will be a lot of work. If you are keeping your bus, I'd got with spindles from any of the samba regulars, and a straight axle kit

Ed1 Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:04 pm

i know how its suppose to work. i have never modified a bus and i dont know any one with a bus either. i have had a few bugs and everything was strait foward on those things. these type 2's are just wierd. do you know if i can mess with spring plates like on a bug to drop the back?

Clara Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:49 pm

If you want to be cheap about it, get a Muir Idiot book, and read it. Don't modify the suspension. You should be able to do 55-60 with a 40hp and RGBs (depending on gearing). I drive ~50-55 in a bus with a split case tranny, 1.4 RGBs, and a 36hp engine, which does not topping it out. I drive ~60 in my '61 with early 64 gearing and a 1600sp. My Dad drives his 63 1 ton SC with a 40hp at 70mph.
Make it work right, and drive it. Do a tune up, change your tranny fluid, fix any brake issues, and drive it. They are not much different from bugs.

If you are cheap, you can't afford a new big motor with new 'go fast' parts and a modified tranny to go with it. Speed costs, how fast do you want to go????

get a Bentley for the split bus. It will show you how the bus works. lots of good pictures.

and wot Pyroman said.

VWBobby Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:02 pm

Everything in this thread is good advice, Except the part from BryanM.

If you don't have enough money to do it right, don't do it at all. Too many buses wind up as peices of crap or never get finished. Save yourself the headache and get yourself some dropped spindles and a straight axle kit when you have the money. They are fun to drive as it is so just worry about getting it road worthy. How often do you see a split bus on the road anyway?

DopeBeatDerrick Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:56 pm

Not to toot my own horn, but to answer your question, I uploaded the first article on flipping your RGB's on the new KCW Members site.

http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/

Not sure if this would be the best setup for your particular application, but if one was to become a member on our site, you could pick our brains without hearing about how lowering a bus is a dumb idea. It's been done many times over, and it's all about what YOU want out of your ride. In the next couple of weeks we will also show you how to convert your stock spindles to 'dropped spindles'. Good luck!

jeremyrockjock Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:59 pm

DopeBeatDerrick wrote: Not to toot my own horn, but to answer your question, I uploaded the first article on flipping your RGB's on the new KCW Members site.

Not sure if this would be the best setup for your particular application, but if one was to become a member on our site, you could pick our brains without hearing about how lowering a bus is a dumb idea. It's been done many times over, and it's all about what YOU want out of your ride. Good luck!

Can't read it. No access.

DopeBeatDerrick Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:02 pm

jeremyrockjock wrote:
Can't read it. No access.

"You gotta pay to play"

As much as I we would love to give out the article for free, it would be kinda like you giving away the plans for those sweet Hurst Bumpers of yours. I gotta eat too!

BryanM Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:00 pm

VWBobby wrote: Everything in this thread is good advice, Except the part from BryanM.

That was sarcasm my friend.
:roll:

Erik G Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:46 am

DopeBeatDerrick wrote: Not to toot my own horn, but to answer your question, I uploaded the first article on flipping your RGB's on the new KCW Members site.

Not sure if this would be the best setup for your particular application, but if one was to become a member on our site, you could pick our brains without hearing about how lowering a bus is a dumb idea. It's been done many times over, and it's all about what YOU want out of your ride. In the next couple of weeks we will also show you how to convert your stock spindles to 'dropped spindles'. Good luck!

see, now fucking everybody needs to quit saying you can't do it. stop repeating shit that others told you, and open up your mind. And while you are at it, open up your pocket book, pony up the $20 bucks to derrick, and give me the password. I won't tell anybody, promise.

J/K, I'll proably pay to see the spindle flip