TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Electrical Questions
Air-Cooled Head Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:29 am

I'm in an electrical dilemma. Another case of a project getting out of hand.

I'm trying to clean-up the snake pit of wires under my dash of my 63 Notch. The fuse box is located right where the PBD is, and that's tight. And, the PO added all aftermarket VDO gauges; Tach, Speedo, OP,CHT,Volts, etc. These were added a different times, so there are about 5-8 wires going through holes (w/o grommets) into the front trunk.

To make a long story short, I want to clean all this up and use grommets.

My plan is to re-wire all the gauges and use grommets on (lots) fewer holes in the firewall.

My dilemma is, should I;
A) Relocate the fuse box into the front trunk & use terminal blocks
or
B) Use the GM style fuse block type kits available

I'm not too imtimidated by electrical work, but have no knowledge/experience w/ the GM style fuse thingy.

Will it require a major re-wire, or will I be able to just replace my fuse box w/ it? What else do I need to know?

fastback1971 Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:53 pm

I installed one of the G.M. style fuseboxes and loved it. I bought mine from Watsons street works,it comes with a schematic for an alternator and a generator(or at least it did 3-years ago when I wired my bug). If your not worried about wiring or the purist opinion, In my experience it's the way to go. Everything worked great and you can route the wires exactly how you want,'cause they leave plenty extra.Plus there are a couple extra fuses (like fuel, fan,windows) you may not use. I loved mine, till I sold the bug. :cry: