TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: OG style seat covers for 65 bug
PEPPE Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:55 pm

i have a 65 that needs seat covers.
where can i find a correct replacement, in cloth/leatherette?
i have seen that shops sells only in vynil.
thanks, Peppe

gerg Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:05 pm

Several shops out there but I would guess that www.wolfsburgwest.com has the right ones for your year.

PEPPE Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:10 pm

wolfsburg west has only the vinyl ones. cloth offered is for oval bugs.
:roll:

glutamodo Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:35 pm

I don't think you can get any cloth OEM style seat covers. You might try inquiring from local uphostery shops - I've seen some good jobs done by upholsterers over the years. They might not be able to get it exactly the same as original, but you might ask and see how close they can come.

Years ago, I had a cloth interior done up by a local shop and except for their use of hog rings, I liked how it came out. I later transferred this interior over to my Baja bug.

andy

DrDarby Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:02 am

TMI sells the exact duplicate of '65 seat upholstry with the proper salt N pepper seating surfaces. I get mine theough California pacific / J-Bugs

glutamodo Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:22 pm

I don't think he's looking for a salt'n'pepper leatherette style. He's looking for the "standard" cloth seats. Just about all VW's sold in the US had the "optional" vinyl leatherette in them, which is what TMI has reproduced. But in Europe, where this car is, the standard cloth seats with vinyl sides were much more common.

andy

Mike J. Goode Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:38 pm

West Coast Classics in Fullerton, CA can make you pretty much what ever you want. They are known for quality VW interiors and rightfully so. I wanted a German cloth headliner-like you might find in an oval-for my '67 sunroof sedan, and they made me just that. About $325 with the windlace, door post covers, and matching assist straps.

I had Sewfine do my seat upholstry-H pattern to fit my '67 seats-and they did a good job. I may upgrade to leather, and West Coast is getting the job.